Adam's 10g Shrimp Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have extra substrate? I like it. You gotta picture the final product! Haha. I think, if you have extra substrate, add a bit of a slope to the right back side so it follows that line you created with the rocks. IMO the blyxa should go behind the rocks. Once it fills out it will have a real cool natural look. I love the look of blyxa, can't wait to grow it one day! :)

Yeah I have some. I will definitely try that.

I guess I need some vision for when the plants come in!

If the Blyxa goes behind the rocks, do I forgo the Wallichii? Or have that go behind my Moss structure?

Yeah I have some. I will definitely try that.

I guess I need some vision for when the plants come in!

If the Blyxa goes behind the rocks, do I forgo the Wallichii? Or have that go behind my Moss structure?

If it were me, I'd forgo it and leave a little negative space. But that's just my style/taste. I love when blyxa just engulfs rocks or driftwood, that's a strong enough focal point or statement on its own. Remember you're still gonna have a moss wall on the back, right? You can always try it, and if you don't like it, pull it out.

If it were me, I'd forgo it and leave a little negative space. But that's just my style/taste. I love when blyxa just engulfs rocks or driftwood, that's a strong enough focal point or statement on its own. Remember you're still gonna have a moss wall on the back, right? You can always try it, and if you don't like it, pull it out.

And I suppose the reverse holds true also. If I feel like the negative space seems too out of place, I can always add it :)

Having Blyxa, Downoi, and the rock structure all together will definitely be a strong focal point haha. I guess it will almost be the "island" style going on.

I will say, I think I wanted Wallichii over there to try and cover the internal filter (I didn't go all out with a canister for this tank).

Do what ever you think is best man! I'm just makin suggestions. :)

Haha thanks. Like I said, first time every stone-scaping. All my other tanks are DW and that's it.

I feel like with having the Moss wall, the negative space will kind of go out the window. I guess time will tell with that though!

After work today I am getting my tank divider to make the wall, adding the Fontanus Fissidens, and cutting my Marimo Moss ball for the carpet.

I do like your idea of a carpet made out of the Dwarf Clover. I think I will try that in my 20g long (whenever I get time to start that thread ;)).

Yay! I really want to see how this moss wall turns out. The tank looks good! Psh I just saw my name on this role call of yours lol I was like, "what's everyone talking about this role call?" Then I re-read the first post lol.

Yay! I really want to see how this moss wall turns out. The tank looks good! Psh I just saw my name on this role call of yours lol I was like, "what's everyone talking about this role call?" Then I re-read the first post lol.

I'm really excited for it too! Although I am having a new issue. It seems I've started to develop some thread algae on my Java Moss. I know Brian had this on his Flame at one point, what did you change to fix this?

I'm also a little nervous as Flame Moss from Brian and my Blyxa Japonica are coming soon. But I'm leaving this afternoon to go out of town! Silly planning on my part. Luckily I have a roommate who can get the plants. Will Blyxa be ok floating for a couple days?

Also, question for everyone: I'm not running CO2, but instead planned on adding Excel. Anybody have experience with Excel and Shrimp in the same tank? I've read mixed things on this.

Hey Adam.. U get the moss? Anyways, i was able to get the thread algae under control by doing a lot of manual removal, adjustment to photoperiod, spot treating with excel, and pwc's... I have shrimp with no noticeable ill effects. To be honest, I'm not sure if it was a combination of the things i did or something in particular. I just know if i neglect some maintenance and if i keep my light on longer, the algae starts to rear its ugly head.

Hey Adam.. U get the moss? Anyways, i was able to get the thread algae under control by doing a lot of manual removal, adjustment to photoperiod, spot treating with excel, and pwc's... I have shrimp with no noticeable ill effects. To be honest, I'm not sure if it was a combination of the things i did or something in particular. I just know if i neglect some maintenance and if i keep my light on longer, the algae starts to rear its ugly head.

Got the moss! Looks great! We're you the one who sent the Clover too? I went out of town this past weekend and my roommate got the plants for me. Terrible idea on my end. Order two packages of plants and then left. My Blyxa is dead that I ordered :(

Good to hear that it arrived. The clover looking plant is Hydrocotyle sp."Japan". It grows really well in medium light. Carpets real easy. Thought I'd throw it in... Feel free to discard it if it won't work for you.

Here's how it looks in two if my tanks...

ForumRunner_20130218_163332.jpg

ForumRunner_20130218_163354.jpg

Sorry to hear about the B. Japonica...

Following here, don't know how I missed this. I've got plenty of fissidens but it's gotten darn cold here. I also am putting in an area of Four Leaf Clover Dwarf (Marsilea hirsuta) this week and am curious to see how it goes.

Following here, don't know how I missed this. I've got plenty of fissidens but it's gotten darn cold here. I also am putting in an area of Four Leaf Clover Dwarf (Marsilea hirsuta) this week and am curious to see how it goes.

Glad to have you Janis! :) been waiting on ya haha

Tell me how that Clover does. I can't decide if I want to make the Moss wall out of Fissidens or just regular Java Moss.

And thanks Brian for the Hydrocotyle sp."Japan." I am definitely using it. I'd love to see that with some Dwarf Sag intermingled.

Hopefully this week I can get started back again! Stupid trips always throwing off my schedule.

If the painted back is bothering you why not just remove the paint. A razor blade solves that issue in minutes.

Not sure if anyone else answered your question about moss balls, yes you can split one open and lay it flat as a floor.

If the painted back is bothering you why not just remove the paint. A razor blade solves that issue in minutes.

Not sure if anyone else answered your question about moss balls, yes you can split one open and lay it flat as a floor.

Yeah I'm not overly worried about the background yet as I will have a Moss wall back there BUT thank you for that! You never know...even with the wall it may still bother me :)

And thank you for answering that. Was definitely hesitant to cut it open unless I knew it would survive

Threads been dead for awhile hasn't it!

Sadly, I have no updates for the time. Work has me swamped, even on weekends. I do want to ask a question though: can anyone name some good long aquariums that are out there? I was looking into the Mr Aqua 12g long (a la Bill) and that looks fantastic, I also looked at Petco's 6.6 bookshelf aquarium which has nice dimension. Long profile tanks are definitely what I'm into at the moment :)

If you have to room, I'd get the 12 long a la Bill.. haha

If you want something smaller, I discovered Mr. Aqua has a 6g long as well. I couldn't find anyone who sells them but also found out that Marine Depot can special order this tank. There's two options for this one: as a kit with LED and filter OR just the tank.

My GF just bought the ADA 60-F.. very interesting dimensions IMO. 24" x 12" x 7"

If you have to room, I'd get the 12 long a la Bill.. haha

If you want something smaller, I discovered Mr. Aqua has a 6g long as well. I couldn't find anyone who sells them but also found out that Marine Depot can special order this tank. There's two options for this one: as a kit with LED and filter OR just the tank.

My GF just bought the ADA 60-F.. very interesting dimensions IMO. 24" x 12" x 7"

That 60-F sounds like like a baby 40g Breeder with those kind of dimensions haha. That is pretty interesting indeed. I haven't yet looked at any ADA tanks. I was also surprised to see that GLA doesn't have any tanks available even to look at anymore?

Where did you find info on that Mr Aqua 6g long?

Yeah trust me, my GF and I wanted to wait for new GLA tanks before we pulled the trigger on the ADA tank. I even messaged GLA about that and they responded and said they're building a new facility and the new line of tanks wouldn't be available until after. I responded with an inquiry on ETA but they didn't give me one so I opted for the ADA out of their lack of motivation to provide me that information. LOL

Anyway, as for the Mr. Aqua 6g long... it's here:
» MA-730L 6.5 Gal Mini Bookshelf Package

I found one guy on TPT with it...
Mr. Aqua 6g Bookshelf shrimp tank - unboxing in post #2

I think the LED light the Mr. Aqua 6g comes with it very interesting looking. However, the guy on TPT said he had issues with the switch or something.. not sure if it's an isolated incident since this tank is so new or it goes beyond that? Well, putting the light on a timer might remedy that if you decide to give it a go.

Both the 6 and the 12 look very nice. I guess I still have a bit before I want to make a purchase (moving!) but never hurts to look around.

Thanks Brian!

Now if only I could get GLA to hurry up I might be able to shop around :)

Back
Top Bottom