Added New Aqua Soil - Looking for Best Way to Re-cycle Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just finished a 3 day total black out of my 10 gallon tank, I still had a little BGA left and I wanted to be sure I got rid of it before adding the new Aqua Soil. Right before I blacked it out, I pulled a pair of Rams out of there and put them in the 29 gallon tank. So all that was in there while it was blacked out was Anbias, Crypt and some Sunset Hygro.

Becuase I'm going away for 3 days on a business trip, I uncovered the tank last night, cleaned it, took the gravel that was in there out, added the Aqua Soil, water and put the plants back in the tank. It was very cloudy last night and this morning, I could at least see the plants but it was still pretty cloudy. I'm hoping by the time I return, on Thursday, the water will be clear.

Here's my problem, is it going to go through another cycle? What can I do to help this cycle along. I do not want to put the fish back in the tank, at least not until I'm around to monitor it and test for amonina and nitrite spikes. I did put some of the original gravel in a stocking and placed that in the tank, not sure where I heard that.

I also have a trio of Kribs on the way, they were sent out yesterday and I would like to put them in that tank. So what would be the best way of doing this? What if I were to order a bunch of stem plants, would that help to cycle it quicker? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm really thrilled about the new soil and can't wait to see how it effects my plants and the nutrients in the tank.

After 6 days with out an ammonia source you bacteria colonies are going be pretty much gone. The good news is you have the 29, so steal so media from that, maybe a little substrate. That combined with the plants should keep any ammonia or nitrite spikes to minimum. Just test and be ready for an extra water change or two.

Thanks Rich, I pretty much figured that the bio filter would be gone, thanks for the input. I'm also going to order a few more plants and hopefully they'll be delivered right around the time I return. so I will add them and also add some media from the 29 and hope for the best.

With the established media and lots of plants, you shouldn't see a visible cycle...meaning the ammonia and nitrites shouldn't be detected. I did that with my 29g...added established media, lots of stem plants, and a some fish (neons!)...I think I had an ammonia reading of around 0.25ppm but nothing more than that...and no nitrites. Thats the beauty of having an established tank!

Back
Top Bottom