Added Plant Fertilizer - Have Dirty Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulhlee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help! I have a 55 Gal tall tank, with a 20" x 22" base. I have had it until now with some gravel on the bottom, and some lava rocks for decor. I have the following fish in the tank:

2 Siamese Algae Eaters
2 Clown Loaches
1 Yo Yo Loach
1 Red Tail Black Shark
7 Neon Tetras
1 Angel
5 Glass Cats
1 Orange Gourami
1 Red Gourami
10 Shrimp

I bought some plants, and some aquarium plant fertilizer in order to add more color and character to the tank.

I first pulled out all of the lava rocks, leaving only the fish and the gravel bottom. When I poured the aquarium fertilizer in, the water instantly became super dirty, and I have about 1" visibility in the water. I suppose I should have rinsed the fertilizer before putting it in the tank - but I screwed up there.

I am not sure how to proceed. Should I let the filter run and clean the dirt/dust, replacing the bio-bags more often than normal? Should I turn off the filter and let the dust settle? Should I change out all of the water and start over? I hope my fish are okay - I see the swimming near the side of the tank from time to time so I think so far, that they are alright.

Ah, that explains it. flourite is a nutrient rich plant substrate, not so much a dosable plant fertilizer.

Flourite is probably the dustiest substrate that I know of and is better used with an empty tank. It will settle over time, I suggest using some activated carbon to trap excess particles; changing it (along with additional small partial water changes) every two days. Adding some filter floss will also help.

Back
Top Bottom