Added some new lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james77

Aquarium Advice Freak
Added some marineland 21" hidden led's. There in the 6500k range also. Boy did they brighten up the tank! Here's a before and after pic. The photo's are with my phone so they may not be the best.

Attachments

• IMG_20131016_165316_499.jpg
    IMG_20131016_165316_499.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20131016_165237_944.jpg
    IMG_20131016_165237_944.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 86
6-7hours should be fine, algae normally grows from excess nutrients in a planted tank. So just make sure your ferts are balanced and you should be fine.

6-7hours should be fine, algae normally grows from excess nutrients in a planted tank. So just make sure your ferts are balanced and you should be fine.

This is not true at all. This is very old school.

The entire EI Fertilization method developed by Tom Barr focuses on adding mass amounts of nutrients into the water column, so no nutrient can limit growth. Light/Co2 imbalances and a lack of nutrients are what cause algae blooms. I run my tanks 80+ ppm of nitrate and 10+ppm Phosphate. No algae.

This is not true at all. This is very old school.

The entire EI Fertilization method developed by Tom Barr focuses on adding mass amounts of nutrients into the water column, so no nutrient can limit growth. Light/Co2 imbalances and a lack of nutrients are what cause algae blooms. I run my tanks 80+ ppm of nitrate and 10+ppm Phosphate. No algae.

Before you jump to conclusions and say I'm wrong. It's actually is true the ei routine involves dosing to make sure no nutrient ever bottoms out. Meaning everything is in balance and there are no excess nutrients. If you bottom out in a certain trace element your plant doesn't use the rest become Excess nutrients and allow algae to feed..

Before you jump to conclusions and say I'm wrong. It's actually is true the ei routine involves dosing to make sure no nutrient ever bottoms out. Meaning everything is in balance and there are no excess nutrients. If you bottom out in a certain trace element your plant doesn't use the rest become Excess nutrients and allow algae to feed..
That's not true. The nutrients are still in excess. You even said your self, a deficiency causes algae. Those excess nutrients do, but only because of a limiting nutrient. Excess nutrients without deficiencies do not cause algae.

Algae eats the same stuff as plants do. Remember kelp and seaweed are both forms of algae and if you plants have a deficiency then a nutrient has bottomed out...

That's not true. The nutrients are still in excess. You even said your self, a deficiency causes algae. Those excess nutrients do, but only because of a limiting nutrient. Excess nutrients without deficiencies do not cause algae.
You just said the same thing.

Ok so what you are saying is if a plant is showing sign of a deficiency then you have and algae bloom. If your plants are showing signs of deficiency then something has bottomed out causing excess nutrients which algae can feed off of.
And guess what. The only reason why deficiency cause algae blooms is because an algae spore eats ammonia to get started which is comin off your decaying plants. Once it gets started it eats phosphates and nitrates mostly.

Once you bottom out the rest are excess nutrients in my eyes seeing as the plants can't use them.

Back
Top Bottom