Adding a Betta fish, bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markstanfill

Aquarium Advice Activist
So Ive been doing some reasearch into getting a betta fish for my 56 gallon (30x18x24) planted, but I havent really found alot that sways me into believeing that the betta wont harm the other fish in the tank. Keep in mind the tank is heavily planted. The current residents are 4 plattes, 16 neon tetras, 5 otos, 3 saes, 1 rubberlip, 10-20 ghost shrimp, and some undetermined number of platty fry that will be eaten or find a new home soon. Also if the betta will eat fry I wouldnt be saddened. My concern is that the fish will go on a killing spree or stress out my fish. Neither of which I want. Anyone kept a betta in a planted tank with tiny tankmates? Ive seen a few in local shops planted setups and I think the betta adds alot to the tank, but its all for show and sales so im not really sure if its a good idea or not.

I believe that a betta would be fine. I have kept a betta in a community tank set up before with no problems, even with neons in the tank. Yes the betta will eat the fry but as you said you don't care so it does not matter. And in a heavily planted tank it will lesson the aggression do to high privacy among the fish. So yes i believe it will be fine. Every once and a while you will get 1 with a bad attitude but usually does not go on a killing spree.

I agree with Etunes. But in my experience every betta has it's own personality so I would have another tank ready just in case you need to move the betta.

I did forgot to mention that, every betta does have its own personality. I have heard people having bettas that were axe murderers. But personally and in my experience they are fine in a community tank and i have never had 1 that killed anything in my tanks. Besides, you should always have a back up plan with a fish you buy.

From what I understand, some fish will nip at the betta's fins and it'll just make it unhappy. If I was going to get another betta I'd probably get a 10G planted for it.

The kind of fish he is talking about getting (tetras and stuff) should be fine with the betta.

at petsmart here in town, they have a beta in each tank, theres one in with 4 oscars lol... they must be a pretty tough fish to live in a tank, a VERY small maybe 15 gallon tank at that, with 4 oscars lol

Actually they are very timid to other fish and DEFINITELY could not stand up to a oscar. The reason they are called fighting fish is do to there aggressiveness to there own species (other bettas).

The tetras will be very tempted to nip at the long flowing fins of a veil tail betta.

My betta hunts down and kills any shrimp and even apple snails. In the end I kept her with small snail breeds and no other fish. If you get a betta, you might need to have a plan B in case it doesn't work out.

Actually they are very timid to other fish and DEFINITELY could not stand up to a oscar. The reason they are called fighting fish is do to there aggressiveness to there own species (other bettas).
+1 on the aggressiveness to other bettas. and also to other fish nipping at the fins of the slower moving betta.

It is all about how large of a territory that particular betta will claim as to how aggro he is, if at all. The other thing will be if you have any fish in there that will attack HIM, like the fin nippers everyone is talking about.

That being said I had one in my community tank without problems...

I have a betta in a 30gal planted with various other fish. No fights, but sometimes there are standoffs. Nobody has gotten injured though. A betta would love swimming around in a 56gal. Just keep an eye on his fins

Back
Top Bottom