Adding dirt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeesymelon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 25 gal cycled tank with 1 betta, 6 guppies and 5 neons. I have jungle Val and Java fern in it but I want to add more plants! I've also heard that jungle Val need dirt to live! I just need help on how I should go about doing this? Also, is all purpose compost fine? What should I do about the fish? Oh yea, Where can I get rocks from? The only decorations I have are the 1 Java fern and 3 jungle Val!
Thanks

You can definitely do dirt... but it's very very messy. There are many easier substrates that are designed for plants, like ecocomplete. Jungle val does not require dirt, it will do just fine in a plant substrate.
Switching to dirt will be a huge project- I would set aside an entire day. You will need to completely empty the tank (hopefully you have another tank to put the fish in for a day or two). I would recommend using organic miracle grow potting soil- you don't want any added fertilizers and I would definitely not use compost. You don't want anything that is not finished decomposing. You will need a cap on top of the dirt to hold it down, usually people use sand.
When you start a dirted tank keep in mind that it will be extremely messy at first, and it's best to never move anything once you plant it, because pulling plants out of the soil creates a mess.

Personally, I would just use a substrate designed for plants, but if you're really set on a dirted tank I would recommend doing a lot more research before getting started.
Dustin's planted tanks is a good resource. He has a YouTube channel, and books on how to start a dirted tank.

I second Eco complete. You would be very keen to dirt an established tank. It's more of something u do on start up. Dirting an established tank can cause some serious effects and kill fish.

I'd be very careful :)

Thanks, I've emptied the tank and used miracle grow potting mix for my substrate! As I was getting my fish out with the net, I thought the tetra was in the net but it was actually slightly to the side of it, so when I tried to get it out, it went ton the side or the net which was plastic! I put it in the 12 gal tank and it wasn't swimming right, it was sometimes going upside down and other times just staying still! At one point I thought it was dead so I got my net and tried to get it out but it started moving! It's still alive now after about 1 hr! While all of this was happening, I didn't realise my 100 watt heater was out of the tank! When I did, I put it back in the water and it exploded! Now I only have 1 50 watt heater! I've tried it before and it does heat up the tank after about 48 hours! But I only have one heater, what should I do?

You should get a new heater.

Do you have something to cap the dirt?

I put gravel on (2kg) but it just mixed in with the compost! I ordered 5 kg of sand. Will that be enough to cover 30cm by 80cm? Does it have to be a certain type of sand?
Thanks for your consistency.

You probably want the cap about 1/2" deep, but I'm not sure how much that would be in weight. Any sand will work.

Prepare for some fish deaths with the compost. It's probably going to release ammonia as it decomposes.

Filling up a dirted tank. It can remain clear if done very carefully. Expect floating particles at the top. Also, I hope you sifted your dirt. The wood pieces and other debris can rot underwater.
ced7d56949b88430a34cece1dcbb9a4f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom