Adding ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any one know why my 180gal turns white when we dose iron(5:50g) and potassium (5:30gal) and my 30g, 17g, 10g, 20g do not? Every one has pressurized co2 except the 20. The 30 is the only one with out LED.

The water stays pretty white for about four hours then clears up nicely.

Sent from my iPhone

It's not uncommon for tanks to turn milky after dosing iron and should clear within a short period of time. Now if your dosing phosphates or have high phosphate levels iron can precipitate with it, especially if your dosing phosphates and iron in the same spot. Don't worry about it even if it is unsightly for a short time.

It's not uncommon for tanks to turn milky after dosing iron and should clear within a short period of time. Now if your dosing phosphates or have high phosphate levels iron can precipitate with it, especially if your dosing phosphates and iron in the same spot. Don't worry about it even if it is unsightly for a short time.

That's awesome to know. Any idea why it only happens in that one tank though?

Sent from my iPhone

Every tank has it's own unique water chemistry so there is something in that tanks chemistry that is causing it to precipitate/cloud the water. With my 220 I had to be sure to dose macro's on one end of the tank and micro's on the other end but when I used a liquid iron I found it just caused the 220 to cloud.

I'll try to split them up next week on different sides. I think my boyfriend kinda squirts it every where to make it even.

Sent from my iPhone

Iron can form insoluble salts with a couple of anions, with phosphate being probably the most well known. You can have high levels if the stock is greater in that tank, and cooler water temps can also encourage precipitation.

BUT, something else is amiss here. Potassium should not be forming salts, and you said the tank clouds up after dosing that? That's peculiar.

What compounds are you dosing (ie, Fe EDTA vs Fe DTPA vs FeCl2)? Honestly, I don't think most irons are prone to precipitation because they're chelated in solutions/salts we buy, and are not prone to reacting (or react very slowly in tanks). Same question with your potassium.

Back
Top Bottom