Adding mopani to a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am currently running a 6gal. planted tank, no ferts, no CO2 and I added a piece of mopani wook a few weeks back. I boiled it on the stove for about an hour until most of the tannins were out. I haven't seen any color leach into the water, so I assumed I was safe.

I did notice a sap-like residue all around the rim of my pot. That was fun to clean. :rolleyes:

Did I do this correctly? Is there any harm to this wood being in my tank? I've had a few guppy deaths in the past few weeks and I'm trying to work backwards and see what might have caused it.

Mopani is chuck full of tannins, but harmless. Many members, myself included have Mopani and it's a great DW.

It's not leaching tannis anymore. I only boiled it for about an hour or so. I really like the look of it!

Attachments

• tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 102
It's not gonna hurt anything, I've had the same and was fine. I just had to watch my pH. Nice tank btw...

It's not gonna hurt anything, I've had the same and was fine. I just had to watch my pH. Nice tank btw...
Thanks. :) It's my 2nd tank. I very quickly went from a rainbow plastic tank to a natural planted one. Only took me about a week or two. LOL I wish I had room for a larger tank, but I just don't. This is the only place we can fit one.

callisto9 said:
Thanks. :) It's my 2nd tank. I very quickly went from a rainbow plastic tank to a natural planted one. Only took me about a week or two. LOL I wish I had room for a larger tank, but I just don't. This is the only place we can fit one.

Well it looks awesome! You've done an outstanding job!

Thank you. I did everything wrong and then did a TON of reading. Still reading, in fact. I never thought fish keeping would be this hard! :fish2:

This tank is only 6 gallons, but I think it's all I can handle for now. Or maybe ever!

callisto9 said:
Thank you. I did everything wrong and then did a TON of reading. Still reading, in fact. I never thought fish keeping would be this hard! :fish2:

This tank is only 6 gallons, but I think it's all I can handle for now. Or maybe ever!

Stay positive! Tank looks great. We all can't have huge aquariums but the ones we can keep we make into art!!

Just like yours!

Wow I love your tank! The little plant on the wood looks perfect, and I like the river rocks on the table that continue from the tank's interior design.

Are you a creative professionally?

Oh yeah I meant to ask what the conical shape was? I have a terra cotta thing I use as an ashtray that resembles that, but it sits in a metal stand.

Wow I love your tank! The little plant on the wood looks perfect, and I like the river rocks on the table that continue from the tank's interior design.

Are you a creative professionally?
Thank you for the compliment! :D

Like I said, I did this all backwards. I started with this (see pic) and then my friend turned me on to planted tanks. I immediately fell in love. Queue two dead guppies and a buttcrapton of reading and I bought my 2nd tank.

Sold the first one and am now perfecting this one. No plastic - just eco complete, rocks, plants, wood.

To answer your question, yes, I am sort-of creative professionally. I am a marketing assistant.

Attachments

• tank_1st.jpg
    tank_1st.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 59
Oh yeah I meant to ask what the conical shape was? I have a terra cotta thing I use as an ashtray that resembles that, but it sits in a metal stand.
It's just a piece of slate on its side. It's got a neat color to it for some reason. Got it at the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom