Adding new plants to 5g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a little five gallon tank with cherry shrimp and guppy fry. It currently has a lot of java fern and java moss, and one anubias nana. The only current decorations are a sideways flower pot to hide in, and the tiny ceramic plate that came with it (I use it to put the shrimp food in). I would like to re-scape, but keep the same decorations, so it is more garden-themed (I know it probably sounds girly). So my question is: are there any aquatic flower-like plants? I'm willing to make it more high tech to meet the needs of any plants. Thanks in advance, and sorry about the rambling post...

I googled flowering plants a while back and couldn't come up with any other than the pond lillies. I kind of gave up because I'm terrified of co2!

Maybe some of the other members have ideas?

I'm guessing that there are no real flowering aquatic plants, because of pollination, but I was wondering if there was anything that looked somewhat flower-like.

Anubias plants and especially bucephalandras will flower underwater. In my main buce tank I typically have 1-2 plants flowering at a time, although this is in a high tech tank. Buces will do fine in lowtech too, just expect a slower growth rate. Once opened the flowers will only last a few days at most underwater before beginning to disintegrate. The main negative about buces is that they are still pretty expensive. :(

I can take a few pics of mine later and also Google should provide many pretty pictures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom