Adding or replacing gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLuckyRoll

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank that is a little over a month old and I started with very large gravel, I would prefer smaller gravel but my primary concern is that a few of my fish do not seem to hang out on the bottom; I have an albino pleco that is sitting on a false cave for about 90 percent of the time, I have a bumble bee catfish that hides in the cave all the time and lastly I have a clown loach that loves to swim with my other barbs, he is incredibly social but I've never seen him rest on the bottom for very long and all I've read is that they need to be soft or small gravel to rest. Can I replace some of the gravel, like an inch and perhaps replace some at a time? Sorry if this is the place to post this in the wrong forum.

I completely removed all of my gravel and replaced it with sand and everything has been fine if that helps. You could also replace half if you want. I was gonna have half sand and half gravel. (Not that you have to switch to sand)

I was asking theluckyroll, he might have a huge tank to do everything all in once

alex07 said:
I was asking theluckyroll, he might have a huge tank to do everything all in once

It's only a 20, I'd be more concerned messing up the good bacteria that's grown in there.

Most of the bacteria is in the filter. But here's a solution to be sure. You can take your gravel that you take out and put it in nylon media bags and leave it on the new substrate in the tank. Make sure it doesn't dry tho.

Like I said I completely changed mine and everythings good so far.
Hope it helps

In 1 bucket you can put the fish and in another you put the filter media & decor. You can put a handful of gravel in a dress sock and hang it from a corner. I would try to keep as much clean old water as possible.

Back
Top Bottom