Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Eh its cloudy but the front hardscape is seeable. The marimo will be moved, its just there temperarily. I ordered my plants already, hopefully have em by next week. There is the driftwood to the left that hopefully turn into a tree. I coated the bamboo sticks with krylon polyurethane (I hope thats safe). Im thinking of adding dwarf hairgrass or dwarf swords for between the rocks in the middle.
Ill keep updated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0396.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	196663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	196664  

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	196665  

Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, I think that the fugeray would be your cheapest replacement. If your hood has 2 parts, a half plastic half glass bottom, and a light strip, than you can remove the light strip and put the fugeray on the glass. It also prevents (or decreases) evaporation.

Fishperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, its two parts. It does sort of reduce evaporation because of the condensation build up on the glass part. Anyways, the water cleared up a bit. (the tank is actually already cycled before hand, it got cloudy after i did a rescape on some things, thats why theres fish in it already). Oh, my cory cats are sorta ruining the sand lol... I hope they wont be a nuisance when I add the foreground plants... (HC)
As for the lighting, Im thinking of just converting the fixture I have of t8. Now my question is, which would be better off for me to get? a t8 LED tube or a t5HO tube? Basically, which is a better lightsource, t8 LED vs converted t5HO?

Edit* Im going to check out homedepot and see if theres a cheap alternative to get rather than buying a new fixture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	196812  
Old 09-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberator123 View Post
Yes, its two parts. It does sort of reduce evaporation because of the condensation build up on the glass part. Anyways, the water cleared up a bit. (the tank is actually already cycled before hand, it got cloudy after i did a rescape on some things, thats why theres fish in it already). Oh, my cory cats are sorta ruining the sand lol... I hope they wont be a nuisance when I add the foreground plants... (HC)
As for the lighting, Im thinking of just converting the fixture I have of t8. Now my question is, which would be better off for me to get? a t8 LED tube or a t5HO tube? Basically, which is a better lightsource, t8 LED vs converted t5HO?

Edit* Im going to check out homedepot and see if theres a cheap alternative to get rather than buying a new fixture.
I don't know much about light, but I know t8s aren't that powerful, or less so than a t5ho, but I think you're best bet is a finnex fugeray. That's what I'm getting for my 10g
Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

update*
added an extra light! now im running 1 15 watt t8 and 1 18 watt t5ho. this should give me enough light right?
i added diy co2, but it hasnt started working, might be a leak somewhere...
my plants came in today, and i added em in. they gave me the wrong four leaf clover, so im not adding that. i feel like the middle is empty, what plant should i put there? also, should i be trimming the plants? the tall 1 is stargrass, and alot of the leaves are in bad shape from shipment. but, the hc was in good condition. byxia japonica is right below the stagrass. and i put anchor moss on the driftwood, its in really bad shape...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	198146  
Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

anyone know how long the co2 takes to start working? no bubbles at all and has been running all night. :/
should I cut the stargrass in half? or should i let it be for a while? im a noob at aquarium plants, and so far im not liking how it looks...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	198161  
Old 09-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think that's like medium light? I don't really know though. You might be able to grow the blyxa and dhg with that, but maybe not.

Edit: To check for leaks, put soapy water on the OUTSIDE of the bottle, around the cap, and see if it starts bubbling up. Even try squeezing it a little bit with the soapy water on it maybe.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishperson View Post
I think that's like medium light? I don't really know though. You might be able to grow the blyxa and dhg with that, but maybe not.

Edit: To check for leaks, put soapy water on the OUTSIDE of the bottle, around the cap, and see if it starts bubbling up. Even try squeezing it a little bit with the soapy water on it maybe.
Ok thanks for the advice. I will try it when I get home from work. The light seems very bright to me... and its at a little more than 3wpg (not to mention 18watts are t5ho), but only time will tell if the blyxa and dhg will grow or not.
Btw, I really like your 20g tank stocking list, I always wanted to have a school of rummynose mixed with bloodfins. How do they interact? Do they ever school together or do they only stick with their own?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going to guess you bought a new light fixture for the T5HO lights? Also were did you get the fixture and bulb?
Old 09-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude3233 View Post
I'm going to guess you bought a new light fixture for the T5HO lights? Also were did you get the fixture and bulb?
actually i didnt really "buy a new fixture", more like retrofitting the old one. I just bought a used workhorse 2 off ebay ($8) and the t5ho I got for 20 bucks on amazon its called truelumen t5ho 18 inch 18 watts. Then I retrofitted the t8 fixture hood to fit both the old and new (used) ballasts with the t8 on the front and t5ho on the back. I had to remove the old white reflector because that was impeding the space available. I placed a new aluminum reflector that I made myself.

Tags
adding plants, aquascape, cap, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com