adding plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,
I looked around....couldn't find anything on this, forgive me if I missed something obvious.
I was just wondering what the proper process of introducing plants to your tank would be.
I've always just treated them as I would fish.
Am I doin it right?

You got it...although rather than adding water to floating bag, blah, blah, blah...you could simply use a nice tray, fill it with your tank water and let them float a little bit in it. More like a plant "rinse".

Agree with funktastic.
Although now, to prevent snails, I rinse them in the tap water. Just hold them under the tap and run my fingers tightly across every leaf.
No ill effects from the tap treament yet.

My method is the same as Peregrine's, but for a different reason. I want to remove any loose leaves or other stray bits such as duckweed or java moss that might be in my new additions.

ya i meant to check for snails in my last batch but forgot and i found one. only 1 mind u and it was damn small and i pulled him out and havent seen any since. i am really hoping i didnt get snails.

For snails, I belive you can give the plants a bleach, or potassium permanginate bath? Not entirely sure as I want the snails...

Typically, a nice warm water rinse helps with clearing off the snails. On the rare occassion the eggs survive this and make it in.

I'm with Mr Funk I just throw them into the tank. But I've got a plus in I own loaches. I prefer there to be snails/eggs on the plant so they can get eaten. I've even pointed out certain plants because I saw egg sacs lol.

I've always just rinsed them in tap water and then added them to the tank. If I wasn't ready to add them to the tank, I have floated them in a bucket of treated water till ready to plant.

I rinsed my plants but I STILL got a MILLION snails!!! Although I didn't rinse the java moss(could be my problem) I like my snails but I hope they wont kill my plants!! It doesnt look like it so far!

Back
Top Bottom