Adding salt to freshwater???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was reading that aquarium salt is beneficial to fish in various ways. I also read to be careful because some plants are sensitive to salt. Well, I have API aquarium salt, which says to dose one full table spoon for every five gallons. That would be 12 table spoons. I currently have four guppies and two redwag platies for an fish in cycle. I did use tetra safestart and driftwood and plants came from established tanks. My parameters are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 and PH 7.8. Should I add less salt than recommended or will my plants be ok? I have three big pieces of driftwood, two smaller pieces with about 10 plants such as anubias, java ferns and very little java moss.

I used aquarium salt a long time ago and noticed no difference. I have since read that its not good to use unless there is illness in the tank.

I used aquarium salt a long time ago and noticed no difference. I have since read that its not good to use unless there is illness in the tank.

Well, I let the Petsmart folks convince me I had to have it. It was only $4.72 for a quart of it so no big loss. I reckon if I don't need it I can take it back. I know I can google for the answer to some of my questions, but I also like to ask on here because I know the answer comes from folks that have most likely come across the issue first hand. Anyway, so now I reckon I am looking for a consensus.

Salt in FW Aquariums

I was reading that aquarium salt is beneficial to fish in various ways. I also read to be careful because some plants are sensitive to salt. Well, I have API aquarium salt, which says to dose one full table spoon for every five gallons. That would be 12 table spoons. I currently have four guppies and two redwag platies for an fish in cycle. I did use tetra safestart and driftwood and plants came from established tanks. My parameters are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 and PH 7.8. Should I add less salt than recommended or will my plants be ok? I have three big pieces of driftwood, two smaller pieces with about 10 plants such as anubias, java ferns and very little java moss.

Hello p...

Livebearers do better with a little salt added to the tank water than most aquarium fish, but all would benefit to some degree. Keep the dose to a teaspoon or even a little bit more for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water and your aquarium plants will be fine. A tablespoon (3 teaspoons), is pretty high and may negatively affect your plants.

I've dosed standard aquarium salt in my planted tanks for quite a few years and have never had a problem with pathogens infecting my fish. I'm a firm believer that it helps improve the fishes' immune system, but that's just my opinion.

Do the research and make your own decision, you're the "Waterkeeper".

B

Hello p...

Livebearers do better with a little salt added to the tank water than most aquarium fish, but all would benefit to some degree. Keep the dose to a teaspoon or even a little bit more for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water and your aquarium plants will be fine. A tablespoon (3 teaspoons), is pretty high and may negatively affect your plants.

I've dosed standard aquarium salt in my planted tanks for quite a few years and have never had a problem with pathogens infecting my fish. I'm a firm believer that it helps improve the fishes' immune system, but that's just my opinion.

Do the research and make your own decision, you're the "Waterkeeper".

B

Indeed, your comments coincide with what I am finding. It is a delicate balance and as you said, for the sake of the livebearers I need to add some salt. Just slightly less than the recommended amount for the sake of the plants.

Thanks guys.

Just remember salt doesn't evaporate ! Don't keep adding it. It's easy to oversalt a tank.

Thanks, I plan to only add a little to my buckets of replacement water during my pwc's. I will tread very carefully with salt.

Back
Top Bottom