Adding soil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jodisgermanshepherd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi my planted tank is thriving and doing amazing thanks to some great suggestions.

Here's my next question. Can I add in some substrate. Right now i have a gravel inthere and the plants seem to like it. My tank is very established. I do want to add something. What do you think?

establisjedestablished.

Well of course I could, I was just wondering if there is any kind of substrate someone could suggest a brand they may use or add.

Attachments

• image-2825379972.jpg
    image-2825379972.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 60
My tanks have either Organic potting soil capped with Eco-Complete or just Eco-complete for their substrate. Are you going to re-do your tank substrate completely or just cap your gravel with something?

Thinking of just capping my gravel. At the beginning of my co2 adventure I had such bad BBA I thought about moving my tank, and replanting/aquascaping But we've decided to leave it just where it is. Adjusted the lighting and its great my algae is gone!!

So now there is some spots with low gravel when I try to cut and replant so I was thinking substrate to add to it (does that make sense?)

It makes sense but you appear to have alittle bit bigger gravel pieces which if you try to top them with smaller sized substrate, the substrate is eventually going to work itself down in the cracks between the larger grained substrate. You might just be better off using more of the same gravel. You can't use soil as a cap, it has to be the lower substrate and must be capped with something.

mfdrookie516 said:
If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I know I'm a fiddler and so I fell off my tank for about a month that whole time I did 2 pwc/20gal and my water remained nearly perfect. So I started cutting and planting some of my plants last night. seems like my wood/decoration area keeps getting smaller and the planted area keeps getting bigger. I just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions. But I guess I will go by my fertz. Maybe a new plant or 2 a smaller net to catch some fish I don't want in that tank anymore and hopefully that will cure my fiddle phase. If I can find the product I was thinking of ill post and see what you think.

Back
Top Bottom