Advice cycling planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wintersjustin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys so good news I think my tank 3 gallon tetra cube has cycled I have 0 nitrites my last water change was Friday the 13 and then the nitrites were very high but now they are gone this is a no fish cycle but I'm having problems with my hardness gh is 300 and the alkalinity is 0 what the heck I use stress coat plus when I first started tank and used it when I did water changes only 2 but I use distilled water when I need to add water from the evaporation so please any help advice would be awesome!! Am I fish ready or what?Image1485207387.699313.jpgImage1485207406.229621.jpg

Do you have all water chem readings and what were they measured with? Also have you tested tap water (used for water changes)?

I used distilled water and yeah the readings are nitrate 5,nitrite0. Gh 300,kh 0. Ph 6.8. No ammonia reading

I'm looking at those lovely rocks wondering if they are contributing to the hardness? Water loves minerals and using distilled I'm wondering if your rocks are giving up the minerals.

Oo never thought about that any suggestions? I love those rocks they are seiryu stone

They are limestone. Your kH is 0 because you're using distilled water. Your gH is high because limestone dissolves in water at a low enough pH. I can't find the specific pH with a quick Google search.

It's actually a reaction that will stabilize. The limestone will bring the water to a pH where it doesn't dissolve anymore.

Back
Top Bottom