Advice/Help with Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flenay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would like some plants in my tank. Start out with something simple. I don't have much for choices as far as buying from a local store I would probably have to buy online. Do I need special lights for all types of plants? Fertilizing? Etc.. How do I choose what's best for my tank? I have bought a couple and they don't seem to be doing that well. I don't know if its because my fish are eating them/uprooting them or what. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Easy Plants

I would like some plants in my tank. Start out with something simple. I don't have much for choices as far as buying from a local store I would probably have to buy online. Do I need special lights for all types of plants? Fertilizing? Etc.. How do I choose what's best for my tank? I have bought a couple and they don't seem to be doing that well. I don't know if its because my fish are eating them/uprooting them or what. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Hello Flenay...

No problem. You don't need fancy lighting or fertilizers for some plants. I keep different kinds of Anubias that don't even need to be planted, just attached to a pieces of lava rock with a small rubber band and dropped into the tank.

Java fern and Singapore moss aren't demanding about light either. If you want some plants that grow just floating on top of the water, then Anacharis and Pennywort are good choices.

With the possible exception of mosses, these are typically available at the local pet stores.

B

What size tank and what type lighting and bulbs do you have? Lighting is what determines what plants will grow successfully in your tank. You also need to decide what type tank you want. High light-high tech or low light- low tech not needing much in the way of ferts or CO2/liquid carbon. Each type of plant has specific needs. Also what is your stock list? Some fish don't do well with plants so that is something else you need to look at. If you plan things out and buy the proper plants you'll be in a good position to start and will find plants are only as difficult as you want them to be.

Back
Top Bottom