Advice needed on low tech planted lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monty11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums :wave:

Basically my tank is 36" (length) x 14" (width) x 16" (height).

I will shortly be setting up a planted tank.

It will be planted with low-light plants (anubias, java fern & moss, crypt and amazon swords). I will most likely use 3 bags eco complete (fine) as the substrate.

For the lighting can I get away with double T8 lighting with 6500k tubes or should I buy a T5HO light and only use one of the tubes?

Currently I have a single T8 light and I get a lot of green algae in the tank. The glass and ship ornament usually gets covered in algae until I clean it all off during water changes. There are no live plants in the tank .. only 6 white cloud mountain minnows as the stock.

Could double t8 be more than enough?

Thanks for any help :)

EDIT: There will be no CO2 in the tank.

Last edited:
Hello Monty...

A couple florescent tubes either T8 or T12 will work. Your local hardware store will have them. These are inexpensive and last well over a year. Add a bit of liquid fertilizer every week or two when you change the water and the plants will be fine.

B

The double t8 should be just fine.

How long are you running the lights daily? A photoperiod of 10+ hours will cause algae growth in an aquarium.

As for the other stuff, I will agree with bbradbury. you will need some root tabs for the crypts but that's really the only thing I can add.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I run my light for around 5 hours everyday. I guess i must have a very strong t8 lol. It is an Aqua One Fluoroglow reflector 36 inch (single).

Since double t8 is 60 watts (30 watts each tube) total power and single t5ho is 39 watts ... should i stick with t5ho to save on electicity costs? The only thing i'm wary of is that my tank is only 16 inches tall so i could get a lot of light and create more algae.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom