Advice on a few things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoWooD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I am attempting to recreate a mountain stream biotype. I am planning on using the flowing plants,

1. Bolbitis heudeloti : African fern
2. Fontinalis antipyretica : Willow Moss
3. Microsorium pteropus : Java Fern
4. Vallisneria gigantea : Giant vallisneria
5.Sagittaria pusilla : Dwarf Sagittaria

One thing I need to know is if these plants can handle medium to high water flow without CO2 and most likely a slightly high oxygen level. I've done the research, I just need a second opinion.

Also, since I am not using CO2 of any kind can I use a Penguin Bio-Wheel 330 filter? I'm planning on using matrix rocks instead of CO2. Does anyone know if it will elimate vital nutrients such as carbon does?

Lastly, does anyone know the best way to recreate a medium to high water flow? I was considering two 20g powerheads, one with a debris attachment or should I go with a sponge filter?

Additional info on the tank:
-Soft Water (6.6 PH)
-Medium to High Water Flow
-No CO2
-No additional substrate fertilizer
-Pea Gravel mixed with river pebbles as substrate
-One piece of bogwood
-Additional river rocks

+Thanks,
Joe

If you use Martin Thoene's river tank concept you will get unidirectional current, filtration, and oxygenation (if you use venturii air attachment) together: http://loaches.com/river_tank.html

If you're looking to move a lot of water I think the vals will be a PITA. Anubias would be good to add.

All of those species should fare well without CO2 in a low-medium light tank. Nice work on the research. The moss might be a bit of a pain in high-flow areas so I would try to shelter it a bit. I like czcz's idea on the Anubias, Vals might prove troublesome in high flow because of their length. Do you already have a source for the plants?

Travis-
By source you mean where I'm buying them from right? I was considering trying to find them. If I can't I'll probably get them from Dr. F & S. What difference does the source make? I was going to try to tie the moss to the bogwood and place a rock beside it to slow down the flow some.

czcz-
I think the only way he got that to work was by placing rock structures in the back which forced the water flow to the front of the tank. I can't do that because it would ruin my moutain stream imitation. I don't think I need the water to flow in one direction. Thanks for the link.
--------

How would the vals height make a difference? I figured it would work seeing as vals around naturally found in streams. What would be a good alternative?

I think the vals will become unruly and will get in the way of your other plants. If you want it you should try it of course, but tall stem plants like anacharis will adapt to the current without becoming as unruly.

Only to clarify in case someone else reads this: Martin's river tank design works because of the manifold and input/output position, not the rocks, but of course any objects in the tank help manipulate current.

Back
Top Bottom