Advice on Lighting, CO2, and goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidsquiggle

Aquarium Advice Regular
(I hope this is the appropriate section to ask this in...) I'm trying to keep low light plants in a 36 gallon bowfront (21" high). Right now I have a single T8 FloraSun 5,000k 18w bulb in the hood that came with the tank. I would love to buy a better fixture, but can't find one that fits on my tank that isn't ridiculously expensive (and with the bowfront, a glass top is equally expensive).

What if I used this SunSystems T5 HO light (with reflector) and mounted it inside a DIY gutter fixture? I've looked at retrofit kits and DIY CFL setups, but I'd rather not tear up my current hood, and I know nothing about wiring. This great chart tells me I'd have medium lighting, but does that still count if it's not in a "proper" fixture?

Second question: If I up my lighting, especially if the gutter manages to give me medium light, I probably need better CO2, right? I have a Hagen CO2 canister that, according to my drop checker, wasn't really doing anything on it's own. I was thinking of adding a 2 liter DIY as well. My concern though is with the goldfish and his high O2 needs. Anyone have any experience with goldfish and DIY CO2? If I run the bubble wand at night, will that keep him happy and healthy, or is it even a concern with DIY?

Or am I just going overboard? Will the plants I have be fine with the current light, no CO2 set up? The plants are alive, and seem to be growing a tiny bit, but that's it. It looks like I might be growing some algae, though, so maybe the current light isn't as weak as I thought?

Further details:

Plants - Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, Onion, Watersprite, Wisteria

I dose with Flourish Comprehensive once a week and use Flourish root tabs in my otherwise plain gravel. Lights are on a timer, 10 hrs a day. Weekly pwc.

The algae(?) is fuzzy gray, mostly on anubias roots and driftwood (wood has been in tank for 2+ years).

Thanks for any advice/help!

Back
Top Bottom