Advice on planted tank needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starkey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello this is my first post on these forums I've had two terrariums going for 1 over 2 years

image-4139465551.jpg

It has neons, guppies that have gone to almost wild form from many generations and young grey treefrogs and salamander larvae.

My second tank is much more land orientated has 4 grey treefrogs 1 brown anole and a few marbled and spotted salamanders along with random guppies and plants that "accidentally. Ended up in it all of the inhabitants are wild caught or Raised by me

image-2214289238.jpg

Sorry for the glare/poor picture quality.

Anyway I've started a new project a planted tank I've had it cycle for about a month

image-4271659295.jpg

It contains water hysteria, red myrio, anachris. Amazon Sword, and green myrio..

My tank is in between low and high tech I have no co2 but great lighting substrate and ferts, filter and heater are however outdated but work fine... All the plants have been growing and look great IMO..

However I'm stuck I want to add more plants and heavily stock it but I'm overwhelmed and don't want to rush into anything. So in short I'm just looking for helpful advice as to which plants and fish or inverts would work best I'm used to focussing more on the terrestrial aspects.

How many gallons is the tank?
As for inverts I really love the look of red cherry shrimp, don't have any but I will as soon as I find some! Also nerite snails are great and very attractive :)

I agree with Khuligirl93 RCS are awesome! I myself went with Orange Sakura shrimp in one tank and Blue Velvet shrimp in another. They are super easy to breed and raise. Fun to watch as well. With my Orange shrimp I put in ten Chili Rasboras. Awesome tiny fish. They school and feed together and don't bother the shrimp. If I had a bigger tank for inverts though I would go with an Electric Blue crayfish (they have been made illegal here) And I am thinking of setting up a tank for an Axeloti. Freaky looking thing. Oh! And I was just introduced to the Vampire Shrimp! Kinda neat and big. One thing my LFS has started to carry is the Thai Spider Micro Crab. Tiny and fun. I have been unsuccessful at keeping them though.

First off the tank is some custom size, my uncle gave it to me, was his through the 90's. but it's between 37 and 50 neither of those size lids will fit tho:/

Also those chili rasboras are really cool from what I've seen so far! thanks for the suggestion but are they widely available?

Ditto about the crabs

As far as axototols are concerned I've never been able to get my hands on one but have raised many salamander larvae from the area since I love the look! I suggest them to anyone who is having a guppy fry problem because they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouths very cool.. But watch out.

And I really would like some shrimp but none are really available locally so I think I'm going to use that site, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom