advice on what plant to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmypack100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im looking for a plant to immitate grass in my planted 40 gallon any reccomendations

What type of lighting do you have (T5HO's, T8's, ???) and what K rating are your bulbs. Most grass type plants need high light so alot will depend on your lighting. Also do you dose ferts and use liquid carbon or CO2?

Well my light I have a single 36 inch I think its t5 floro sun so far that has produced enough light for my other plants and as for co2 I have been thinking about doing the ghetto 2 liter mixture jus to improve groth

IMO that isn't high enough for something like Dwarf hair grass. You could look into dwarf chain sword for a grass like effect as it can do better with alittle lower light. It may or may not work tho.

I have another spot for another bulb tho Cept I went with one florosun instead of a more powerfel light bc I feltt like the lught was bothering somebof my fish I dont know if yu know why but seems like all my tetra stay in deeper water ubtill I turn off my light

Tetras prefer dimmer light and dark substrate. I had to change my 10,000K metal halide bulbs out for 6000K bulbs for all my tetras. The only thing about bulbs under 6000K is that they give the tank a wierd yellow cast. You can also get something like water sprite to float so it casts some shade. Tetras like that too.

By the way thanx yur advice is real helpful. This is my first aqiarium ever and I was a point zero 2 months ago I looked into the wat er sprite they looks like a pretty popilar plant and easy to find il pe obably slam it in the cornerb of my tank or maybe smack center in the back. And also jus curous what does 10000 k mean and how do I find ou er howuch im putying out

By the way thanx yur advice is real helpful. This is my first aqiarium ever and I was a point zero 2 months ago I looked into the wat er sprite they looks like a pretty popilar plant and easy to find il pe obably slam it in the cornerb of my tank or maybe smack center in the back. And also jus curous what does 10000 k mean and how do I find ou er howuch im putying out

6000k, 10000k, they are color spectruims. A 10000K bulb is going to be much much brighter to the human eye than a 6000K bulb which is much dimmer light. Tetras like the dimmer light. When you buy bulbs they will have the color rating on the box or tube. Only buy one that has the color rating and not something that just says for planted tanks. You want to know what your getting so it's not too bright for the tetras.

Back
Top Bottom