Advice one aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joebetts

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone I am new to this and new to aquascaping so any advice would be appreciated. I have a 160l tank and a couple of pieces of driftwood. Would anybody help me or give reccomendations of positioning this hardscape and where the best places to place my plants would be. I would like some anubius as well as java fern and moss and dwarf hair grass. And maybe something amazon sword to try and hide the filter inlet. Any help ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 94
Wow I like that piece of wood, all burly looking with cool areas for things to hide and swim through!

I'd leave the wood where it is and as you state add the swords over by the filter intake pipe.

IMO Anubias AND Java Fern look great tied off to wood. If you put the anubias a little higher on the wood, the roots may grow down and it looks very natural.

The wood needs plants mingled in and attached.

Dwarf hair grass would look good in front of the wood, between the front glass.

In front of the amazons you might consider a low growing crypt.

I would also suggest some black out "paper" in the back glass.

You are going to have a very nice set up no matter what you do, the wood piece looks great!

Would you recommend boiling the driftwood before ? This would be a problem given the size. Or any other method of treatment ?? It is bought from a shop so would it be okay as it is ?

Hi Joebetts,

That is an awesome piece of driftwood. I would recommend boiling it if you can. I have 2 large pieces in my tank and it was hard to do that. If you place them in a large plastic tote for a few weeks that will help. If it floats, put something on it to keep it submerged.

2 issues you may have of you dont boil/soak the wood:

Water will have a yellow tint until the tanins are released from the wood. Not harmful, but some people don't like that look.

The wood may be buoyant and you will need to find a way to keep it under water. Over time it will naturally sink.

I love big piles of driftwood, the more tangled-up and gnarly, the better. They're probably my favorite way to dress up a tank, especially if you go for an informal planting (more cottage garden or wildscape, less Versailles). So (y)

I prefer java ferns grown in shade (I think they're prettier without lots of light), and dwarf hair grass seems to want higher light. I'd be tempted to plan for some floating plants (or plants that will grow long and lay across the surface) over the wood pile to give that area some shade. You might need to shift that pile slightly forward to make room for tall stem plants, if you go that route.

If you're patient, you can just soak wood in the tank, with no lights, and just keep doing occasional water changes until the water runs clear. Depending on the wood, it could take several weeks. (I had one piece that leached a little for over a year, but the worst was done in the first few weeks) I just set up a tank for an impatient relative, and we gave up soaking her wood after a month and just put it in the tank and added a bag of Purigen to the filter. Some combination of the soak and the Purigen did the trick - her water is staying clear.

I have some wood I tried to soak in a bin, but I couldn't get it completely submerged and the exposed parts grew mold :facepalm: So, make sure the tub is deep enough!

Someone, somewhere ... on the internet, so you know... said you could run wood through the dishwasher. Not sure it's enough water to get it waterlogged, but the heat could help with the leaching. I haven't actually tried that.

Not to derail this, but: I'd be wary about having a tank where the edges are not completely supported by the stand. You don't have a lot of overhang, so it may be okay, if the front and back edges aren't hanging off... But if it were me, I'd get a piece of plywood slightly larger than the footprint of the tank and use that to provide some extra support.

I've used the dishwasher before and it works great! Run it on full intensity 80+ degree and for the longest u can. Do that twice over. Make sure u have no rinse aid in there though ;(

Yeah I am going to place a piece of ply underneath. And I was thinking of just leaching it in the tank and putting the heater quite high. And just leave it for a week or two and see how the water is. That was my plan. I can't bring it for way due to branches. I could cut a few off but as it is it slopes quite a bit towards the back on different angles :) would just soaking it in water work or do I have to add some purification substance or solution?
Thanks

Yeah I am going to place a piece of ply underneath. And I was thinking of just leaching it in the tank and putting the heater quite high. And just leave it for a week or two and see how the water is. That was my plan. I can't bring it for way due to branches. I could cut a few off but as it is it slopes quite a bit towards the back on different angles :) would just soaking it in water work or do I have to add some purification substance or solution?
Thanks

U can soak it for a long period, it took 2 months for the big bits in my Oscar tank to fully leech, however they are a lot bigger. I'd say a month would be fine. The acid doesn't have any negative effect so u can still leech it in the aquarium if u like. You will just have tea water for a month or so.

As for water logging you can use fishing line and tie rocks to it and bury them in the substrate till its water logged. That way u can finish the scape and still plant it etc ;)

Back
Top Bottom