advice: open bottom tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andresdeo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, i'm new to the forum and to Live plants in my tank. Ive had a lionhead goldfish for about a year and a half and i wanted to increase my tank capacity by including a vertical tank open bottom. My tank specifications are in my profile.

The thing Im most concerned with is, Will it hold the extra pressure. Its 6mm glass.

extra pressure? in a upside down tank there isnt much more pressure on either tank as the one is held up by vacuum. now if you plan on resting the weight of the upper tank on the plastic lip of the tank that is a different issue.

as far as scaping it out. building a rock wall that merged into your bottom tank would be very nice. you could place ledges at different stages that could house plants? search "foam background" in this forum and that will give you some lightweight options for the task. Welcome aboard to AA

One of the problems i have is size. It s only a 10 gal. How do I know there are not too many plants?

Attachments

• image-2933704580.jpg
    image-2933704580.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3465532209.jpg
    image-3465532209.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3924350558.jpg
    image-3924350558.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 111
Darwin said:
extra pressure? in a upside down tank there isnt much more pressure on either tank as the one is held up by vacuum. now if you plan on resting the weight of the upper tank on the plastic lip of the tank that is a different issue.

What do you mean by plastic lip? I was thinking of putting it on rocks. Would that be fine?

I just got 3 spades, because all my plants are really tall and wanted something on the bottom. I have some pictures from an earlier post any recomendations on where to plant them?

the plastic lip that holds the glass of most tanks. Bringing rocks up to the bottom of the upside down tank would work but you should put a piece of plywood under the big tank(to fill the gap between the bottom of the tank and the stand) to support the extra weight of the tank,water, and rocks.

your talking about something like this concept right?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...rst=181&FORM=IDFRIR&qpvt=upside+down+aquarium
lol after I posted the link it doesnt sound like it should take you too a upside down tank but it does.

Last edited:
It doesnt for me, its just a bunch of car videos. I was thinking about something like the plywood idea, thanks. Any input in the spades?

Try it again I changed the link. oh plant locations are kinda tuff to call. most people dont like symmetry so the random look or grouping is common. When I plan plant location I do the old from where I view the tank what would look good plan. :) I have a LazyBoy about 4' from my tank and to the right.

Still doesnt work, an error message pops up. I'll try that, I'm not very happy with my current distribution but dont want to make any big changes since I get the Open bottom tomorrow and ill definately be moving Stuff then.

humm works when I click it. anyway do a search on "upsidedown aquariums" and you will find a few pictures of them. I am really tempted to make one myself. That will be after my next couple tank builds Im working on now.

you may have popup blocker on or something

andresdeo said:
One of the problems i have is size. It s only a 10 gal. How do I know there are not too many plants?

As long as the fish can swim, you don't have too many plants.

I get the open bottom from the store today! Cant wait to set it up. Although it probably would be best to try it outside my tank first.

I got it a couple of days ago and Im really happy with it. I had to custom make some light fixtures, dont know if they stay, but are good for now. Tell me what you guys think. Besides looking good and adding height it made my 10 gal go up to 12.5 gal. Lol.

Attachments

• image-2426648972.jpg
    image-2426648972.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 134
  • image-1512677989.jpg
    image-1512677989.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 127
  • image-887668935.jpg
    image-887668935.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,526
Back
Top Bottom