Advice please re changing Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clopsy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,
I have a plan in mind about how I will about changing my substate to something more suitable for plants.
I am hoping some of you will be able to give me some feedback as to whether it will work or not... or any other steps I should consider. I am relatively new to all of this an had no idea what I was doing when I started.. hence trying to rectify things now. The plants I have are growing ok but could be much better I'm sure with the right substrate.

My current set up is as follows:
Tank: 350l Juwel Trigon
Substrate: between 1-4 cm of 2-3m Sand
Filter: JBL Cristalprofi 1500l
Pressurised C02 @ 2bps
Ferts: EasyCarbo & EasyLife
Lights: T5 2x24 and 2x45Watt

I now have a spare 80l tank that a friend has given me and my plan is to take all of the fish from my current tank and transfer them into the 80l for a few days while I work on removing the existing sand from my current tank and putting in Aquabasis plus and JBL Madano as new substrate. I will then transfer back the fish to my 350l. I will take out the existing plants and leave in a bucket of tank water while I am working and replant when the new substrate is in place.

My questions are..
Because I will be using water from an existing tank (cycled etc) will my fish survive ok in the 80l tank ?

Should I set this tank up with no fish and leave it run for a week or two like a new tank or can I just put the fish in straightaway ?

Once I have the Aqua Basis plus and Mandano in the new tank will I have to wait for a while before I put back the fish or will the water parameters (Amonia etc) be unstable while the new substrate etc settles.

Any ideas how much of the Auqabasis and Mandano I will need ? I'm pretty mathemactically challenged but by my estimation 10l of Aquabasis and 15l of the mandano should be sufficient ?

I don't really know the names of the plants I have so I've posted a pic below of my current set up.

I'd appreciate any feedback before I dive into this.. I haven't actually purchased anything yet so if there's another type of substrate I could/should use just let me know.

Thanks in advance..

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 43
Thats a nice looking tank you've got there! I don't think you would really need to change substrate if the plants are growing fine. But if you want to:

1. When you put the fish into the 80l tank put the old filter(s) on the 80l while the fish are in the 80l.

2. I don't know what aquabasis or madano are sorry.

3. What do you mean "set it up like its a new tank"? It's been cycled right? If so just put the filter on whatever tank the fish are in. No waiting needed.

4. Do a large water change after the new substrate has been put in and settled to get rid of excess nutrients or silt.

I still think it'd be a nuisance. Unless this is being converted to a high light tank, root tabs will be sufficient for most plants.

Alex, thanks for the reply.. I guess I want to be rid of the sand anyway.. I'm endlessly trying to keep it clean and I haven't nearly enough of it in the tank anyway.
Good idea re using my existing filter in the smaller tank.. hadn't tought of that.
Thanks again for the feedback(y)

Back
Top Bottom