Affect of High Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Everyone,

Just added live plants to my tank yesterday. Tested my water completely for the first time since the tank was set up 2 yrs ago.

PH: 7.2-7.6
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 20-40 :?

What affect will the Nitrates have? I haven't PWC'd since wednesday due to melafix dosing for a tetra with fin rot. I will do a 50% PWC this coming wednesday. Are the fish/plants in danger? What will bring down the Nitrates other than a PWC? Should I do a small PWC before Wednesday to bring the Nitrates down before something goes nasty?

I think you're fine. Depending on what plants you put in and how many, they actually might consume the nitrates. As long as you stay below 40 the fish are fine as well.

20-40 is a pretty broad range. Can you tell from the color what the reading is closest to?

Nitrates are something plants actually use, so it's better if you do have some in a planted tank. That reading should not do any damage to either your plants or fish. If it climbs higher, though, do a PWC before Wednesday.

I am moderately planted and my nitrates stay between 10-20 ppm.

Actually I wouldn't consider 20-40ppm of Nitrate to be high at all. Perfectly fine for both plants and fish. Generally we recommend keeping Nitrates under 20ppm when just keeping fish, but in the 20-40ppm range once plants are added to help ensure that the Nitrates don't accidently bottom out. Many actually are unable to keep Nitrates under 20ppm as a direct result of having Nitrates in their tap water, and end up aiming for 20-40ppm of Nitrates as their goal even without plants.

Back
Top Bottom