Affordable LED Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pickles12807

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wanting to upgrade my light from the stock 17w T8 that came with my hood. I'm very new to aquariums in general let alone planted tanks, so although I've been researching I'm still pretty clueless when it comes to light.

I'm wanted an affordable light for low light plants. I currently have anubias, java fern, anacharis, water wisteria, and jungle val. I also have dwarf hair grass, but I know that it is not suitable for my tank or knowledge level so I'm not worried about getting a proper setup for it.

I like the look of LEDs, but I'm not sure what to go with. I don't want anything bright enough to require any type of co2. I just went to Petco and got a Fluval EcoBright LED to test out because it was 50% off, but it's no brighter than my T8, so it'll be going back.

I've been looking at the Finnex FugeRay and Planted+ based on the researched I've done. I have a 20 gallon long, so I wasn't sure if either of these would be too high of light that would require co2 or anything? I want to keep this as simple as possible while still being able to grow low light plants decently.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think the Finnex Planted+ should be a nice fit. You should PM Fresh2O here as he has a 20g Long and experience using the Finnex line on his tank.

But if those low light plants are the goals for this tank without worrying about co2 injection, I'd actually go with a Current Satellite LED+. At 12" distance from light to substrate, they claim 36 PAR.. Which is low-medium light. This fixture is dimmable so if you start seeing algae you can adjust intensity and duration until you find a nice balance.

Here are posted PAR data:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=379417

The planted+ might require co2 unless you run a really short photoperiod or if you add distance by suspending the fixture.

I have the Finnex Planted + on a 10 gallon and I think that it is a quality fixture. It makes my plants pearl. With a 20 long you should have the same effect. The Current looks really cool too with the color changes and dimmer function.

I looked at the Current Satellite+, but I don't really like how the actual light is only 24". I'm afraid the edges of the tank would be too dark like they were when I tried the 24-36" Fluval. I think I'm going to go with the FugeRay, as I'm afraid of an algae problem with the Planted+ since I'm not using co2.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The FugeRay is nice, but the planted+ has the red diodes in it too. The color and vividness of plants and fish will look better, IMO. Maybe if you rig up an inexpensive DIY co2 generator (yeast/sugar) you'll like the results and have lush growth overall.

Here is a light that would work LED Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Bright. They have three different ones ranging from .05 watts up to 3 watts per LED. Lots of people on Plantedtank.net use them. I am using one of their T5 lights on my 20 long and like it.

Have PAR ratings been posted for these 3 models? Curious.
At 12" the Finnex FugeRay will emit about 45 PAR compared to 61 PAR for the Planted+. Those are low medium and medium light respectively.
I used the FugeRay on a 20g long from April 2013 to July 2014. It was capable of growing low to low medium light plants. The addition of DIY CO2 really enhanced plant growth and allowed me to try more challenging plants. DIY CO2 was pretty simple to start up and maintain. If you are not planning on using it, then perhaps lean towards low light, less demanding plants. As for algae without CO2 with the FugeRay, I do not recall it being a problem. In lieu if CO2, there are supplements you can use to provide a source of carbon for plant growth. Examples are Seachem Excel and API CO2 Booster.
I started using the Planted+ in July 2014 in conjunction with the FugeRay, though I am limiting the time when both fixtures are on. I am using pressurized CO2 and dry ferts (PPS Pro from Greenleaf Aquatics).
The price point between the two Finnex fixtures is nominal but the output and results can be quite different. From a visual perspective, neither appears much brighter than the other. If the planted+ was available in April 2013 (probably was but I was still feeling my way through this) I would have picked it over the FugeRay. But my goals involved more challenging plants and CO2 was in the plan.
Back to the Beamswork, they do look attractive price wise.
I hope I did not cause more confusion with this post.

Thanks for your help. I ended up ordering the FugeRay last night. I didn't want to get too high of light and then have to worry about an algae problem since I'm really only interested in low light plants right now. I figure if all goes well I can always order the Planted+ in the future when I'm more comfortable.

I've looked into Excel, but I saw that it can sometimes hurt shrimp and snails? I have ghost shrimp and mystery snails, and I don't want to do anything that could possibly harm them. I also read that it sometimes melts anacharis, and at the moment that is one of my main plants.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Aww man.. i would have reccomended the finnex stingray.. get them reds in the mix..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How much do reds make difference in a low light setup?

Not sure, def make the flora and fauna pop though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How much do reds make difference in a low light setup?

I have a roseate/red bulb in conjunction with my white. Noticed a huge difference both in my plants and in my fish. I recommend adding the red if you have the chance.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OP does not want to hear this :) Good info though. The FugeRay should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom