African Cichlids for 12gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 12gal tank is now set-up, cycled and ready for fish. I want to try African Cichlids, considering that my city water is already hard and alkaline.

Which African cichlids are suitable for my 12 gal? I've read a bit about dwarf shell dwellers but I'd like something bright and colourful :).

Any advice much appreciated. thankyou!

There is not going to be anything colorful for a 12 gal when it comes to African cichlids, if we are talking about rift lake species. I would not even keep kribensis in a 12 gallon, come to that. The only real option is going to be shellies. They are very interesting, active fish, but are not colorful.

The only colorful fish would be possibly South American or other small fish like Tetras.

I would not keep a juli in anything smaller than a 20 gal. They are kindof like the brichardi types - they don't require a huge territory, but smaller than 20 gal and they are unhappy. Juli's are great for larger ARLC biotopes since they will inhabit a relatively small area.

mmm.... shelldwellers are unavailable so I've decided to go dwarf gourami and tetras :) Thanks for your advice anyway.

Back
Top Bottom