African Tiger Lotus - HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FawnN

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some African Tiger Lotus in my 80 gallon and they are just popping out the water. Can anyone tell me if I can cut the stems off and replant it?

My red tiger lotus grows tall or short, dependent on how you trim it.
AFAIK, you can't replant the stems, but the leaves make great floaters.

Thx,

dave

Thanks Dave. What a shame you can't replant. I've got 4 plants with bulbs attached and out of the 4, there are 5 stems just popping out of the surface.

It looks so weird.

Cutting the leaves off frequently will keep it low. The plant itself will send runners off which you can move at your own leasure.

I let 'em grow tall, short, wrap 'em around sticks, etc..

redlotus.jpg

tigerlotus1.jpg

lotusleave.jpg

lotusleave1.jpg

lotusleave2.jpg

Nice tanks. My 75 is going great. Plants are growing like mad. Just one problem. Greenwater. Thats what I get for not planting heavier in the beginning. :(

I'm currently trying to talk the C.E.O. of financial affairs in the house to let me get another tank.

Usually around 20. I am doing 2 water changes a week, sometimes three to keep my discus happy!

Why? Aren't they suppose to be that red? I bought these when they were only 1.5 inches in height with bulbs and they have grown a lot!

Low nitrates (5ppm) or high lighting will really bring out the reds in certain plants. Some plants like A. reineckii are just naturally red even under low lighting (1.5wpg)

Back
Top Bottom