Aggressive discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.sam

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after months of having problems with my tank from algae to PH to nitrate. I finally get everything right and my plants growing. Now I'm having a problem with a discus. I got it about a month ago. It's still relatively small to me but so for he has killed three other discus I have put in my tank. The first two were about the same size and in about 3 or so days they were gone. The last one was a lot bigger. I got it on Friday and now it's dead to. I've been checking my water on a daily basis. Water temp. 82, ph 7, no ammonia or anything. What else can I do. Gorgeous fish but it is about to get the boot

My disgruntled fish

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389632723.737232.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389632723.737232.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 86
Everything else in my tank it doing good. 5 electric blue rams, 5 German blue ram, 3 gold rams, and 3 algae eaters

How big is the tank and what did you do when you added the new discus? I have heard from others having this problem too, you have to remember they are cichlids and this is always a possibility. More space, breaking lines of sight and rearranging decor and plants can help with territory issues. I have one discus that's more aggressive than the others but luckily for me it hasn't caused any deaths or health issues.

As for what I did adding the new discus just the usual left it in the bag for a wile added a bit of my water in the bag then after about 30 to 45 minutes let it loose in the tank

It could be the acclimation, but I've drip acclimated and did it the normal way too with discus with not problems so far. 90 gallons should be plenty of space for them to have their own territories, if you decide to try again you can remove the discus you already have to a 5gallon bucket with tank water. start acclimating the new discus, then remove the old discus and rearrange the tank, then allow the new discus to have 30 minutes or so alone in the new environment and then add back the old and see if that works. That's what I would do but others may have something else for you to try. Also if you can swing adding 2 or 3 more discus it may help divide the aggression.

I'm going to kinda take your advice and relocate him to my sister tank for a wile and add 3 more discuss. I'm about 2 or so weeks I'll put him back and see what happens

Sounds like a good plan. Keep us updated and let us know how it works out for you. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom