Air Pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shubunkin01

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been reading a lot about CO2 lately, and know that surface agitation will lower the CO2 levels. In my small planted tank, should I have an air pump? I don't have any CO2, not even DIY, so would I get algae or stunted plant growth if I have the pump on 24/7? Would the fish still be able to breath if I turned it off?

Thanks
Shubunkin01

do you have a filter that agitates the water.

If the plants are healthy then yes, the fish will be able to breathe. Fish can last a pretty long tim on low O2. Personally, i wouldent have a air pump in a planted tank, but i have co2. Even if i didnt i would think it would distrub the plants too much

If you don't have CO2 the air pump wont hurt anything, as a matter of fact the additional surface agitation will keep your CO2 levels at ambient levels. It is really up to you, if like it run it.

Rich is spot on. In tank were CO2 isn't being injected surface agitation is beneficial and encouraged. It will help maintain both CO2 and O2 levels. HOB with slightly low water levels, air pumps, and spray bars pointed at the surface will all achieve these results.

Thanks everyone, I think that I'm going to keep the pump, as my fish like playing in the bubbles! I'll take it out if I ever get CO2

Thanks again
Shubunkin01

Back
Top Bottom