Air stone yea or nay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am fully stocked, maybe even overstocked, in my 20g tall. I have filter on at all times, but I have NEVER EVER had any issues with fish gasping. I don't see why it is such a big deal to not run an airstone. I have 1: 2.5g, 2: 5.5g, 1: 10g, and 1: 20g, all of them are stocked and none of them have an airstone. Never had any problems with fish gasping, heck I haven't had any fish die, much less show symptoms of O2 deprivation.

I don't really see a reason to have a coniption over a silly bubbler. A ton of people don't use them, and there are hundreds if not thousands of threads on here stating that they are more for aesthetics than to add O2 to the aquarium.

I am fully stocked, maybe even overstocked, in my 20g tall. I have filter on at all times, but I have NEVER EVER had any issues with fish gasping. I don't see why it is such a big deal to not run an airstone. I have 1: 2.5g, 2: 5.5g, 1: 10g, and 1: 20g, all of them are stocked and none of them have an airstone. Never had any problems with fish gasping, heck I haven't had any fish die, much less show symptoms of O2 deprivation.

I don't really see a reason to have a coniption over a silly bubbler. A ton of people don't use them, and there are hundreds if not thousands of threads on here stating that they are more for aesthetics than to add O2 to the aquarium.

I couldn't agree more. I could see a heavily stocked tank having problems if the power went out for an extended period of time, but I've left all of mine off for 8-12 hour stretches without a second thought.

I've even left some of them completely sealed when doing a flea bomb, but then again when you think of how fish are shipped it puts things into perspective.

Every tank is different. Most won't lose fish within hours, but some will. It would also take many, if not most, people much longer to notice a tank's filter wasn't running.

At the end of the day it definitely doesn't hurt to run an air stone, but can potentially save it, so why not?

Well, you have my opinion. I am tired of this back and forth stuff. Make your own educated decisions based on what you observe.

Back
Top Bottom