Air Stones in Planted Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi All,

Is it advisable or not to add an air stone to my 36 gal. planted tank?

You folks have been a great help to me and I appreciate the advice.
D

What's in the tank? Do you have a HOB filter that just air at the surface? My view is air is always good, but too much air can be bad.

What's in the tank? Do you have a HOB filter that just air at the surface? My view is air is always good, but too much air can be bad.

Yes, that's the kind of filter that I currently have. I wanted to buy a Fluval cannister filter, but that will have to wait for awhile due to the initial expense of my set up. Thanks.....

Yes, that's the kind of filter that I currently have. I wanted to buy a Fluval cannister filter, but that will have to wait for awhile due to the initial expense of my set up. Thanks.....

I wouldn't be too worried then.. You have air exchange happening. You could get a 20 or 30 gallon air pump and put it in if you'd like..many people use the for looks too.

I would only run air stones at night as it depletes co2 levels for plants. Most of us, to my knowledge, don't use them. If so, its for short, nighttime only when plants are resting.

I would only run air stones at night as it depletes co2 levels for plants. Most of us, to my knowledge, don't use them. If so, its for short, nighttime only when plants are resting.

If there's not reason for one, and they're actually a detriment to plants, I'll just forget about it. Thanks!

Adding Airstones

Hi All,

Is it advisable or not to add an air stone to my 36 gal. planted tank?

You folks have been a great help to me and I appreciate the advice.
D

Hello again Dream...

Unless you really like the effect of the little bubbles, an airstone contributes very little to the tank. Your filter does the job of moving the water surface and mixes oxygen with the water and allows carbon dioxide to escape.

As long as you have a filter with a gallon per hour rating (gph) of 150 or so and change out half the water in your tank every week, your fish and plants will be healthy.

I'd suggest getting some floating plants into your tank if you don't already. Anacharis (Brazilian Waterweed) and Pennywort are nice and help filter the tank water. The plants are also a good addition to your fishes' diet.

B

Hello again Dream...

Unless you really like the effect of the little bubbles, an airstone contributes very little to the tank. Your filter does the job of moving the water surface and mixes oxygen with the water and allows carbon dioxide to escape.

As long as you have a filter with a gallon per hour rating (gph) of 150 or so and change out half the water in your tank every week, your fish and plants will be healthy.

I'd suggest getting some floating plants into your tank if you don't already. Anacharis (Brazilian Waterweed) and Pennywort are nice and help filter the tank water. The plants are also a good addition to your fishes' diet.

B

I do like the effect of the little bubbles, but not at the expense of my plants. I don't have any floating plants, but that's a great suggestion, thanks.

P.S. Are you up in the Fort Collins or Longmont area? I moved down to COS from Denver in 2000.

Using Airstones

Hello D...

I'm in Greeley. I'm sure you know the place. Been here just about since the beginning.

B

The stigma against airstones comes from people who are using injected CO2. If you are injecting CO2, then the airstones cause massive surface agitation and therefor loss of CO2. If you're not injecting CO2, then surface agitation can only benefit the tank, although in a properly stocked and filtered tank this isn't necessary.

Is there a worry about floating plants blocking light to the plants in the tank?

The stigma against airstones comes from people who are using injected CO2. If you are injecting CO2, then the airstones cause massive surface agitation and therefor loss of CO2. If you're not injecting CO2, then surface agitation can only benefit the tank, although in a properly stocked and filtered tank this isn't necessary.

No, I'm not injected CO2. Definitely not overstocked since I just moved my small community from a 5 gal Chi to a 36 gal. Had to wait for my new tank to cycle. I just always thought that the air stones were kind of cool, but I think my filter is doing it's job well, so not necessary, and if it causes a loss of CO2, then better to leave it alone. Tested the water this morning, and all is well.

Back
Top Bottom