Alex's 20 Gallon Planted Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe whip up a smaller batch to see how it's working, then make tweaks as results manifest itself. Mixing large batches as an experiment can't really be reversed. I'd exercise caution before I potentially waste it.

Ok I might try that. Instead of straying to far from the original recipe i might just do this:
Original:
59 grams of K2SO4
65 grams of KNO3
6 grams of KH2PO4
41 grams of MgSO4

80 grams of CSM+B

Tweaked:
63 grams of K2SO4
55 grams of KNO3
7 grams of KH2PO4
41 grams of MgSO4

84 grams of CSM+B

It is only tweaked a little bit, to provide less nitrate, more phosphate, and more micronutrients. It should allow for redder plants and since it doesn't stray too far from the original recipe i think i should be fine if i go ahead and dose with that. What do you think? Thanks for the reply btw.

Sounds okay to me. Although I don't use mgso4 to comment on that. I only tweaked my pps formula to have more po4. Everything else is standard recipe. I'm sure you'll be fine though.

So the PPS pro mix has been made. It has been shaken, not stirred :D, and should be ready for dosing tomorrow.

Now to get that co2 system set up...

Make sure you shake it aging and again! Also read the directions twice so you don't end up dosing a months supply in a few days;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well i dosed PPS pro this morning, got my co2 running too. I just dont have a drop checker, i lost it but will order one today. The plants look good. The co2 is running into the intake of the canister filter. Life is good. (y)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406202970.649350.jpg

Blurry new Vesuvius growth.

I have a question about co2. How many bubbles per minute should I have? I don't have a drop checker yet so it will be kind of guessing. I'm at 37 per minute now.

Here's a full tank shot after a day of PPS pro, co2 and the new fugeray planted plus. It definitely needs to grow out more. I will trim the slightly melting rotala and the staurogyne repens Saturday. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406251256.270949.jpg

That is a nice looking tank. Don't worry, it will grow out.
I've been doing 1-2 bps (60-90 per minute).
I just got my Finnex Planted+ setup this afternoon. Expecting good things out of it.

I'm in like flynn! Good things to come!

That is a nice looking tank. Don't worry, it will grow out.
I've been doing 1-2 bps (60-90 per minute).
I just got my Finnex Planted+ setup this afternoon. Expecting good things out of it.

Thanks! I'm excited because there is some new growth already. I forgot my good camera at my dads house but he will bring it by on Sunday so I will post more, good, pics then. And thanks for the BPS estimate. I've heard so many different formulas and i don't have a drop checker yet so i need to know.

I'm in like flynn! Good things to come!

Yup! All the plants made it except: one stem of bacopa, one stem of ar mini, and a couple downoi plants (but I think that my glowlights ate them).

I really like the driftwood and how it fits in with the scape a bit. Which would be better for the driftwood, flame moss or fissidens fontanus?

I've done flame moss on DW and it looks fine although you would need keep it trimmed. I think fissidens would look nice with its drooping branches.

I've done flame moss on DW and it looks fine although you would need keep it trimmed. I think fissidens would look nice with its drooping branches.

Yeah I've been thinking about it. I dont really like the idea of fissidens because it appears that there are hardier options out there. It's between flame and weeping moss now but this pic has me pretty sold on flame:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406299581.456677.jpg

Who knows I may not have any moss at all! It will be added once things fill in so I can see if I need it or not. I definitely want some driftwood to be showing.

Day 2 of PPS pro and the co2 and the planted+ running full time.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406330414.461927.jpg

Moved the Vesuvius around a bit. Ludwigia, staurogyne repens, and the AR are all putting out new growth as well as the Vesuvius.

Wow Brian! Thats some hairy driftwood! :lol: I'm still unsure as to wether it needs any moss but it'll be on my mind for sure!

And I wasn't dissing the fiss if thats what it sounds like earlier. I just think weeping moss could be more hardy and achieve a similar look. Still leaning towards flame but I don't know at this point.

Wow. I had no idea how bad it was! I have a tiny scrap of it now but it's already growing. Should I get rid of it?

Back
Top Bottom