Alex's 20 Gallon Planted Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That doesn't look like S.repens to me at all, the color looks lighter like some sort of hygro, perhaps h.polysperma. Do you have pics of it when you first put it in?

Go down to the 3rd pic
My 90G Bow Mess - Aquascaping - Aquatic Plant Central

That looks like it. Thanks!

Man it's a noxious weed. So I'm guessing I can't ship it at all? Or can I just not ship it between states? Like, could I send it to canada if it's not illegal there?

WAIT A SECOND!

HOW CAN TROPICA SEND IT TO ME THEN?! Why are they growing a noxious weed?!?!?!

I would contact Tropica and let them know that they sent you the wrong plant and for them to send you the correct plant.
Creeping form of H. polysperma? If it stays low then it could make for a nice carpet nonetheless.

I would contact Tropica and let them know that they sent you the wrong plant and for them to send you the correct plant.
Creeping form of H. polysperma? If it stays low then it could make for a nice carpet nonetheless.

Yeah I will. I need to find the order confirmation email first to make sure it was them I ordered from, but I'm pretty sure it was.

I don't think it is a different form, just a strange reaction to parameters.

It's too bad its on the noxious weed list, otherwise I'd ship some to you guys. Is it legal to ship? I'm pretty sure no but just in case.

Oh and by the way, I got a co2 drop checker today. Already had the indicator fluid so it was $2.78 with free shipping on eBay. :D. Glass. Drop checker. $2.78. Hooray for a competitive capitalist economy!

Oh and by the way, I got a co2 drop checker today. Already had the indicator fluid so it was $2.78 with free shipping on eBay. :D. Glass. Drop checker. $2.78. Hooray for a competitive capitalist economy!

$2.78 for a glass drop checker? I'll have to check that out.

I ordered one from eBay 15 days ago, $3 plus $5 shipping:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How do you get plants from Tropica? Aren't they located in Europe?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Few things:

I have a new, albeit incomparable to the likes of Brian, Rivercats, OS, and someothers, profile image. Still working on resizing the text put getting there.

Put a drop checker in last night. It showed up blue green upon going in. Dark green in the morning, and lime green when I got home today. I didn't use 4dkh water though.

I will trim the plants tomorrow. I don't know if I want to stick with a carpet of hygro or go with S. Repens. Still thinking. I definitely want to keep it as a background plant. It'll be moving back there to replace the ludwigia when I trim later this week. The ludwigia will be trimmed heavily, old growth trashed, and new growth replanted. I don't like the ludwigia because its new leaves are crinkly and weird. I think Mg/calcium deficiency so I'll try to fix that.

That's about all for now. :)

I agree that neither staurogyne nor hydrophila will send out runners. Assuming that's what we're seeing, my best guess would probably be something in the echinodorus family, maybe quadricostatus (broad leaf chain sword). BUT, I'm not convinced that's what we're seeing. It almost looks like a single stem growing horizontal, which some species, notably hygrophila and rotala, will do under high light environments at time.

Can you get a series of pics of the plants riiiight at the substrate line? Try to get as much of the plants as you can in the picture. I suspect that's what we're dealing with here.

I agree that neither staurogyne nor hydrophila will send out runners. Assuming that's what we're seeing, my best guess would probably be something in the echinodorus family, maybe quadricostatus (broad leaf chain sword). BUT, I'm not convinced that's what we're seeing. It almost looks like a single stem growing horizontal, which some species, notably hygrophila and rotala, will do under high light environments at time.

Can you get a series of pics of the plants riiiight at the substrate line? Try to get as much of the plants as you can in the picture. I suspect that's what we're dealing with here.

Sure. Thanks for the input. I just want to say that this is a stem plant. I'm not that oblivious lol but still pretty dumb about these things. I uploaded them to my album.

Ok well that link went bad... Again. It keeps doing that I don't know why. My picture quota has been reached so could you just find my album (visit my profile, should be on the right side) to see pictures?

Thanks.

Looks like someone may have to become a premium member; )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok well that link went bad... Again. It keeps doing that I don't know why. My picture quota has been reached so could you just find my album (visit my profile, should be on the right side) to see pictures?

Thanks.

I believe I have to go to the full website to view the album (and not thru the mobile app).
You can post images to an image hosting site such as PhotoBucket or Imgur, copy the URL of the image you wish to use in a thread, and wrap this URL in IMAGE tags. The image tags contain the keyword "IMG" and have brackets around them as seen below:
EidtVlS.jpg
Don't forget the backslash "/" in the end tag. Hope this makes sense.

The photobucket app is easy..
No need to use HTML or insert your own tags. Simply upload image, tap share, then "copy link to clipboard." Choose the last option under IMG. Tapping that box automatically copies it. Then go to your AA post, tap and hold on the text field, then paste.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom