Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is this algae growing on this plant? It is ruining my tank.

JimmyA

Attachments

• image-1806125769.jpg
    image-1806125769.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 148
  • image-3147830837.jpg
    image-3147830837.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 144
Well I have 8 hours of light, good strong light. No Co2 and I fertilize with pellets. This algae came on a plant from Petsmart. Any way to get rid of it? Have rock bottom.

I knew the light last year, but I forgot. I'll have to check but think maybe 6500 kv not sure.

I light 8 hours a day. I have not had time to check my light, but it's a normal 6500 kv light. Been letting water changes go too far up to 2 weeks. Normally change 30% a week. This black spot algae is getting all over my tank, going to ruin my plants.

Spot treating with Excel will work for BBA. Have to anubia that I just knew were going to have problems with being too close to high light areas. I spot treated them once with Excel. Be sure not to overdose your tank, its easy to do when spot treating. I used a syringe with double the amount of Excel I use daily and slowly squirted the plants. By the next day the BBA was turning pink/red which meant it was dying. Snails are taking care of the rest. Another thing to be aware of is certain plants are sensitive to Excel and can cause them to melt. I know Val's are one, some say crypts too. I have corkscrew val and tons of various crypts and haven't ever had problems with melt due to using Excel. As for BSA... some say Excel will work on it and some say no. If your spot treating for it you can try. If you have alot of BBA then you have to treat an area at a time. You can't just spot treat the entire tank or you could grossly overdose. Cutting your light hours down and upping CO2 should take care of it. I recently cut the hours down on the metal halides, went from 8 hours down to 6, then slowly have been upping my daily dose of Excel to increase available carbon for plants. Excel isn't CO2 but it helps alot. I believe too low a level of phosphates can also contribute to the problem so you might want to test your water also.

I had it to. I used peroxide and as I did a wc, I just took a syringe and covered it good and let it stay on it for about 10 minutes, then start refilling. It'll turn pink by the next day and fall off.

I'm starting Hydrogen Peroxide treatments later this week for BBA, driving me mad - I wouldn't use the excel method if you have Vallisneria in your tank, it will usually melt like mine did.

I agree do the hydrogen peroxide treatment. If you fell uneasy take the plants out and soak them in the peroxide

The reason I went with Excel is I know my plants are fine with it since I use it every day. Not long ago I read somewhere that Corkscrew Val isn't prone to melting with Excel. I know mine has been fine and just find it strange what could be so different between Jungle Val and Corkscrew Val. Or am I just lucky? It's good to learn new methods. Is hyrdogen peroxide a one shot treatment? Is there a limit to how much a person should use if treating a lot of plants? I know I only felt safe doubling what I normally use of excel daily. But then I only had two plants to do.

I had vallisneria spiralis, melted big time with excel - whole plant gone in 3 days :( and a right mess in the tank. The Hydrogen Peroxide treatment can be used in a few ways, I'm going to be spot dosing HP 3% (there is different strengths for sale) my Anubias and a Java fern and then dipping my hairgrass in a solution in a bucket for around 20 mins.

Well!

I used some Excell, and then I decided to put in 3 1/2 ounces of hydrogen peroxide. I am not going to monkey with cleaning each plant because I'd never get it all. That black dot algae has to go, and I got it from Petsmart!

JimmyA

reefdiver said:
I agree do the hydrogen peroxide treatment. If you fell uneasy take the plants out and soak them in the peroxide

I take mine out of the tank and clean them. I have a soft bristle brush from ikea. I let the hydro sit for a little but till it loosens then brush it off and replant. On the attached to wood one it do the same thing but a little more gentle with the brushing. And then I do a nice water change dose my tank double than the normal dose. Wait a few days. Trim any of the plants or leaves that look poor. Clean the filter.

I would also add extra water movement.

Hydrogen Peroxide is working! Great, thank you all for the help!

JimmyA

Back
Top Bottom