Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pzul

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a medium tank that I have set up for over a year after six months it started growing algae. I have been in a constant battle trying to combat the algae.All test are good except the nitrate most of the time nitrate tests over 160 ppm tap water is 40 ppm.the tank is full of plants and fish some plants came from local lakes others I purchased. I've read that adding duckt wees cuts down algae by eating all the nutrients.
Still algae. If I cut the light back to 6 hours per every 24 hours the plants get stringy and dull looking. Keeping the light on 10 +hours each 24 hour period keeps the plants healthy and full.
Question: has anyone set up a refugium with a uv steralizer on a dirted freshwater tank with plants.
I have a 50 gal tank in the barn I'm considering bringing the house. It has been drilled and used for a sw tank. Will this solve my algae problem.

Whoa, 160ppm nitrate would definitely cause algae problems. 160ppm nitrate is less than healthy for your fish. I would try to get these down!

Up your change routine, if youre doing 15% weekly, i would do 30% twice weekly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom