Algae Algae Algae in my planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Things are not looking good! Since I have aquired my new SW tank I guess I have neglected my 5.5 planted. I am sorry to say that three different forms of algae are forming. Cyanobacteria is the only one i have confirmed. It is only in one small spot but i know it will grow. What am i going to do? Also, my substrate has visible mulm against the glass, what can I get that will move around the bottom without causing a bunch of mayhem. I am thinking of kuhli loaches. One other form of algae looks like cotton, and the other is a redish color. What can I get/do to rid the tank of this stuff. I really dont like it and dont want a bunch of nasty algae in there. Thanks a lot.

man I would do a massive cleanout, I am not sure if the water is saveable, but as for the fish and other livestock, I would suggest Jungle's fungus and algae medications. Thus far they haven't let me down, saved my fish a number of times. As for the algae, since its a 5.5, I would do the massive clean out, almost starting from scratch, I know it sucks but man this is serious growth you've got there.

More importantly what caused all this algae growth???? I mean wow, I have yet to encounter three types. My main culprit of algae growth are the major temp changes that happen, either by a heater breaking, or power outages. By then the food started feeding their rage. After you've solved your algae problem, check over the set up.

I wish I could be of more help, I know massive cleanout probably wasn't your first choice, but I can't think of anything that will do serious help in such quickness.

Get as much of the algae out as you can and do a 50 % water change, observe for a couple days, see what happens. total breakdown may not be necessary just yet.

To reduce your algae, the water changes will help lower your phosphates (PO4).

You may want to consider reducing your photo period (if your lights are on for 12 hours per day, maybe reduce them to 10 or 8 hours per day).

Any direct sunlight hitting the tank? Avoid that.

I hope this helps.

I think this was all misinterpreted. I only have a little cyano, and the other types I removed and they seem to be gone. The algaes are all on the actual plants besides the little growth on the sides of the glass. What can I do to kill the cyano, should I start using R/O water for changes. I am going to do a 50% change fri. and want to know what I should use. I will not dose any chemicals for a while.

THE TANK IS NOT TOTALLY ALGAED OUT! I hope you did not get that idea. I KNOW i dont need to do a total tear down. I did that with my 10 gallon and have only heard success stories of how to fix what I had. (although I would not hear the bad ones since they would not be on a fish forum, if they got rid of them) I am going to get my water tested rather soon. I wish I could vacuum the gravel but it is so small more would be in the bucket than the tank. Is a deep substrate level in FW tanks a good thing? I have over 2 inches in the tank and about 4 inches in the back. I need to change my filter, any ideas on what to put in it?

I was thinking regular old floss from the grocery store. The unwaxed kind.

I was thinking regular old floss from the grocery store. The unwaxed kind.

Go to a fabric store, get quilt batting, 100% polyesther, loike 3 bucks a roll, a roll will last forever.

I wish I could vacuum the gravel but it is so small more would be in the bucket than the tank. Is a deep substrate level in FW tanks a good thing? I have over 2 inches in the tank and about 4 inches in the back.

Just skim the surface of the gravel, get the visible mulm. if you're careful, you should be able to get the technique down.

That much gravel may be a bit much in a 5.5, doesn't it take up a lot of room?

Cyano, only thing ever worked for me is maracyn, or ereythromycin, 5 day dosing.

I will rememer the maracyn, but it has not really taken off. The gravel is not really visible, and I only see the front to be honest. My next project is to build a stand for the tank, it will cover up all the gravel so you will look down at it. I think that it will be cool.

Any advice on the RO water thing?

Any advice on the RO water thing?

Haven't been following you in SW, I assume you have RO water now? I'd go half tap water, half RO for changes, hear this works well for folks, esp. those who then fertilize, (flourish, or other aq ferts.)

I get RO from the LFS yes. Also, is it normal for a plant to grow, and below the new growth, the plants rots away? This is really starting to anger me as my tank has tons of new growth daily, but half of it dies and does not make the tank look good. The only plants that dont do this are anacharis and wisteria. The glosso does not do it either, but I dont have enough new growth to tell. I was wondering if it is my error, or just bad plant selection. I want to remove them from the tank, but i know I would lose a lot of the really cool look I have. If there is not prevention for this just let me know. Thanks. I really dont want to get a rooted plant ie Java, anubia... I like the stem look I have. Thanks a lot. I do fert. I use Seachem Flourish, I think it is the Iron one.

. Also, is it normal for a plant to grow, and below the new growth, the plants rots away?

For some stem plants, yes. Just pull them up, cut them off at the good part, chuck the rotten stuff, replant the good stuff! This is fairly standard for some stem plants.

Do you have Cabomba? I cannot get it to grow right at all, it rots/falls apart on me all the time.

I have asian ambulia which is very similar to cabomba and hornwort in looks and structure. I will remove all the bad stuff today. I think I am going to get two new plants if they have some good ones, glosso and some other plant. Any ideas on some good red ones? I have had bad luck with ludwigia.

Well, my LFS is pretty bad about keeping in a good selection, so I may never see that, but thanks!

Ok, I finished my doising of maracyn yesterday, and I have NO cyano. Corvus, I give you 100 kudos. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom