Algae, algae growing everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here are the tank spec's

58 Gallons
NH3/NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 15
KH: 7
GH: 6
Phospate: 1.5
PH: 6.8
Temp: 78-80 F
Photo Period: 10 hours (192 watts of PC)
CO2: 30-35 (Automated, Pressurized)

I have green hair algae starting to grow everywhere. On my plants, rock, driftwood, tank walls. I also have very dark green spots of algae in various places on the substarte (eco complete).

I run a Coralife 9 watt UV 24/7, flowed down to just under 100 gph. What in the world in going on with my tank? It's been established for almost 3 months now. No fish, only plants. It's not fully planted but it's getting there. Tons of glosso and swords. I dose TMG weekly and KNO3 as needed to keep the NO3 above 10.

Any suggestions, please?

I know it sounds silly, but I'd love to have some green hair algae growing in my tank. It's considered a pest, but its just flora like anything else, and it'll fit into the nitrogen cycle the same as any other plant. As long as you've got some method of keeping it under control (manual scraping, some sort of algae grazing critters) then I don't think it's a problem. Any tank with sufficient sunlight / plant light, nutrients and CO2 is going to grow algae, I'd think, and yours has all those.

I'm not sure what your intentions are with this jungle tank (whether you plan on introducing fish or no), but I'd probably recommend some trumpet snails. They're fairly unobtrusive guests. Most of the time they just live under the gravel. I think they're fairly plant-friendly, but they're great at picking up excess food in the gravel of a tank with other beasts in it, and they'd do a good job at keeping your algae problem under control. As long as you kept at the plant feeding schedule as you are, the algae would most likely grow fast enough to keep a healthy population of trumpets alive. And they breed pretty easy, so it would be a self-sustaining algae solution.

Of course, I'm relatively new at this whole thing, so all I've said mightn't be 100% correct, but the handful of MTS I got off a friend have bred twice since I got them a month ago, and they keep the mess down in my tank quite a bit. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom