Algae and liquid co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I now have an algae problem :( I didn't have one until I started using liquid co2. Does the liquid co2 cause algae?

I now have an algae problem :( I didn't have one until I started using liquid co2. Does the liquid co2 cause algae?

Yep, ingredient list for liquid CO2 is pure algae :)

All kidding aside. Algae arises from a balancing issue between CO2, light, and nutrients. Any one of those three gets too high or too low, you have a recipe for algae.

Yep, ingredient list for liquid CO2 is pure algae :)

All kidding aside. Algae arises from a balancing issue between CO2, light, and nutrients. Any one of those three gets too high or too low, you have a recipe for algae.

Would it be better for me to just stick to liquid ferts and skip the co2 from now on?

The liquid carbon isn't causing the algae. How long are you running your lights for daily? And what type of algae? A picture would be helpful.

When referring to liquid CO2 are you using Excel, API CO2 Booster, or Glutaraldehyde? Those are liquid carbon.

When referring to liquid CO2 are you using Excel, API CO2 Booster, or Glutaraldehyde? Those are liquid carbon.

It's API co2 booster. In running lights about 6 hours. Ive used my limit of pictures unfortunately so I can't post any. But it's brown algae from what I can tell.

Your tank is fairly new isn't it? If so you most likely have diatoms. Diatoms almost always appear in new tank setups. They use the excess silicates in water and will eventually run their course with time. Cutting your light down to 6 hours a day will help keep them under control alittle better and if they drive you nuts you can add a couple nerite snails as they love diatoms. Don't remember the size of your tank but BNP's also eat diatoms. I like nerites as they really don't add to a tanks bio-load.

Your tank is fairly new isn't it? If so you most likely have diatoms. Diatoms almost always appear in new tank setups. They use the excess silicates in water and will eventually run their course with time. Cutting your light down to 6 hours a day will help keep them under control alittle better and if they drive you nuts you can add a couple nerite snails as they love diatoms. Don't remember the size of your tank but BNP's also eat diatoms. I like nerites as they really don't add to a tanks bio-load.

It's a 55g. I do have an albino BNP. I've had my 55g up for about a month, but the filters that are running on it are the ones I had on my 30, just transferred the filters over.

If the brown algae easily wipes off then it's most likely diatoms. If your BNP is well fed it may not eat much algae, they get like that sometimes.

If the brown algae easily wipes off then it's most likely diatoms. If your BNP is well fed it may not eat much algae, they get like that sometimes.

That's probably it, it does wipe off very easy. Before this I had no algae problem and was feeding him zucchini slices ever few days. BNP will munch on it every now and then, but not all the time. LFS is getting in some nerite snails next week... I may get a couple of them when they come in.

Back
Top Bottom