Algae and planted tanks....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just wondering if new planted tanks generally have algae problems til the tank matures? Also, when's the best time for adding ferts? I've been adding mine in the evening after doing my tests, but like today, when I got home from work, my tank was over run with algae again. I had the nitrates and phosphates in balance, and had added some potassium as well. When I tested tonight, my nitrates were about 20ppm, and the phospharus was well below .5ppm. I also did a pwc tonight and got the nitrates down to about 15ppm, and added Flourish Phosphorus to bring my phosphates up to just under 2ppm.

The other reason I ask is because my 26G is mature, been running well over a year, and has lots of plants now, and has absolutely no algae problem. The water is so crystal clear too. So, since it's not a mature tank, will I continue to have more algae problems than normal til it becomes mature, and will be less of a problem after it matures?

The problem I'm having is green algae on the glass, and on the leaves of many of the plants. The stuff on the leaves wipes off real easy and is quie messy when you wipe it off. The stuff on the glass is kind of hard to scrub, but comes off with some elbow grease. Going to be thining out my tank this weekend, as its beginning to look very dense, lol.

It sounds like you might be having problems with brown diatom algae (the stuff the wipes off of your plant leaves easily) in your new tank. It often occurs because your nitrifying bacteria have not become suffieciently established to provide proper O2 levels in the water column. Once the filter bed matures, this type of algae generally just disappears. That's been my experience anyway :)

I do't think it's brown diatom algae. It's very green in color, and wipes off easy. It's not like the stuff that was growing on my driftwood when I first set it up. It is easy to wipe off and feels kind of slimy, but is green. Not sure if it's hair algae. The strands can get pretty long too.

Back
Top Bottom