Algae balls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Well, I got me some Algae Balls! Cladophora aegagrophila, also known as Marimo Balls. Mine are big green fuzzy Balls. Kinda look like green Tribbles. I like my new Algae Balls. Once I get my tank completely re-done, I'll post some pictures of my Algae Balls.

corvuscorax said:
Mine are big green fuzzy Balls.

*giggles* So you have balls now eh corvu? I've got balls too! LOL How many did you get?

I really like em, although I discovered they don't go well with otos. The otos leave em alone, but the oto poop collects under em. Yuck. I'll prob move mine into the 15g once I'm rid of the cyano.

Can't wait to see your balls!

Allivymar said:
corvuscorax said:
Mine are big green fuzzy Balls.

*giggles* So you have balls now eh corvu? I've got balls too! LOL How many did you get?

I really like em, although I discovered they don't go well with otos. The otos leave em alone, but the oto poop collects under em. Yuck. I'll prob move mine into the 15g once I'm rid of the cyano.

Can't wait to see your balls!

Your a bad infleunce on me, Alli.

Because I chuckled at that same segment. :p

I could not help myself with this post, that's all I got to say.
How many did you get?
I got two. *snort*

Plan on putting them in the 90. Right now, I'm in the midst of changing around all 5 tanks, redoing the plant combinations, reaquascaping, and moving fish. I actually bought very little new stuff for this project, am just trying to get the right colors, textures, and leaf shapes more organized. I'm just attempting to bring some kind of order to the chaos that has developed over time.

I sure hope my balls fit in here somewhere that looks good! :mrgreen:

Strangely enough, everyone I know who has gotten Marimo balls has bought 2. Subconcious at work mebbe? ;)

And I AM a bad influence William *grin* I'm quite proud of that.

well, freud would say you're correct alli...sex and violence...it's all latent. there is a lot of marketing theory that suggests that we as consumers do not consciously understand why we buy. i don't believe or practice that, but i'm sure there are plenty of people who do. with that said, i don't see the appeal in marimo balls. unless they aquascape supports them properly, they look out of place. if there was a nice lawn of riccia or glosso, i think marimos would work...otherwise, i'd pass.

well, my marimo ball fell apart, so now i have two golfball sized marimos, that are slowly shedding and eventually will be nothing but decaying moss.

i'm un-impressed with these. they don't 'grow', and my fish all think it's some kind of salad bar.

One of my local fish shops has many really BIG balls!!! You don't suppose they're putting testosterone in the water, do you??? :lol: Oh....wait....this is a FAMILY forum!! Please disregard the double ententre!!!

Mine are growing nicely, and I like to refer to them as "cushions" thank you! :D

To me they are like topiary in a garden, and I really like them. They do collect debris, though, so I rinse them out occasionally. My fish do not pay a bit of attention to them, but the shrimp like to dig around in them.

This thread kinda reminds me of the skit Alec Baldwin did on SNL about his famous rum balls.

Bunch of pervs, you all are!

I became intrigued by moss balls when I saw someone mention that their loaches played soccer with them. How cute!

Now I'm starting to think about soccer players....*Drool* Dang it, you guys now have my mind in the gutter!

*snickers* Sorry smilla ;)

I got my balls last August, and they're doing nicely. They're a little fuzzier then they were initially, and I think I should be able to spilt them by this coming August; anyone know of a site that explains how?

*watches the men cringe*

Back
Top Bottom