Algae Breakout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_fish_man

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a new light that with all 4 bulbs has 250watts for a 72 gallon and for the past few days I have had all four lights on. Which was quite stupid of me and now I have a huge algae breakout so I am lowering the light output to 2 bulbs and am working to get rid of all the algae. But some has started to grow on my plants on my sword it is just getting brown and on my ludwigia repens it look like little brown hairs. Should I be worried will it harm my plants? Do I need to clean it off the plants to?
Thanks

too much algae can choke a plant to death. Otos can fix your algae problems. As can a bit of H2O2, 1ml-2ml per gallon.

3% peroxide. Any brand will do. I buy it in litre bottles that come in two packs. The brand name is Swan.

Too much light and heat can cause Algae to grow quite rapidly, which I'm sure by now you already figured that out with the lighting. What's your tanks temp at? I've noticed over the years that some plants seem to do a bit better in warmer temps while some fair better in cooler temps. Also what are you feeding your plants? a LOT of the liquid plant foods pretty much seem to feed the Alage more than the plants themselves.

Temp is 76F and I think around 23C I haven't been putting to much liquid food For the plants more root tabs I did order some algae killer that is safe for plants but it just got here a week a go so haven't found to much of a difference yet I am gonna give it a couple weeks before trying something else

I Think Algae really affect the life of plants. because what ever nutrient you provided to your plants it directly absorbed by that algae.so automatically the growth of algae is increase rapidly n the growth of your plants is get decreases. due to this algae.so i would like to suggest you that you should have to remove that algae.for proper growth of your plants.

Back
Top Bottom