algae control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am having a problem with algae. Not green algae, it is mostly this red fuzzy algae. now, i know this screams in balance to everyone the question is what. I have made sure its not over feeding so i checked that off. I can only think of 3 things as the possibility. Lately pwc have been hard and honestly i have been behind too 1 or 2 times a month. Now the tank is pretty lightly stocked so it hasent been a huge deal since it is a 75g. The other 1 is i have a pretty high end light (2 t5ho) and i am not dosing or using co2. The other thing is i have been staying up late alot which means the tank havent been going off tell midnight to one in the morning. That is more then a 12 hour day of light. Now, 2 of these i can fix but i want to make sure its not the light. Thoughts?

Red? Picture please. I haven't seen red algae before.

edit: red algae happens for me after I've just chemically treated green or black algae, it turns read. Have you dosed flourish excel lately?

No, what you are talking about is Black Beard Algae after it dies. This is actually red algae that is fuzzy, it dosent seem to get as, HAIRY as BBA. And no, i dont dose excel, i have vals.

This is now. It is blurry but you can see the red fuzz.

dscf3931r.jpg

Before the whole workover of the tank. This was caused by me being gone 2 weeks and my sister in law overfeeding like a beast.

dscf3882.jpg

dscf3883.jpg

Strange. Probably cyanobacteria (I know from cyano you'd think blue but it comes in any color) that coated over some string algae or something.

Back
Top Bottom