Algae control help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemomma456

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need some help with algae control I am new to planted tanks and would love to know a good animal for algae control. Also I am wanting to get my planted tank to look better hopefully without co2 injections. The tank doesn't have it currently and I would love to keep it that way1479581838233.jpg1479581844473.jpg. Thanks!

So a couple things. 1. Always have a cleanup crew (nerrite snails and Ammano shrimp are awesome). 2. Remember that when CO2 runs out the algae wins. So do a siesta mid day for 3-4 hours with no light. 3. more plants fights algae better than a few plants.

Hope that helps!

What light level are you? Guessing low? Anubis, cryps, java fern, any moss and some faster growers like wisteria and Anacharis and maybe Val? You need a balance for optimum water quality of slow and fast growers or you end up going insane with trimming.

I need some help with algae control I am new to planted tanks and would love to know a good animal for algae control. Also I am wanting to get my planted tank to look better hopefully without co2 injections.

First, stick with low-light plants and make sure your light fixture isn't more appropriate for higher light plants. The mismatch could lead to algae if the lights are on for a longer period.

I second the recommendation for amanos and nerites. But you might also want to have a look at this site: some critters will eat only certain types of algae and ignore others.

You can add Excel for a Carbon source.
I put my lights on a timer.
Reduce to 6 hours a day if needed.

BBA ( Black Beard Algae) I get when I skip weekly water changes or don't have enough flow.

Clean, well circulated water with some Carbon source should help.

Don't leave lights on too long and don't overfeed.

You can add Excel for a Carbon source.
I put my lights on a timer.
Reduce to 6 hours a day if needed.

BBA ( Black Beard Algae) I get when I skip weekly water changes or don't have enough flow.

Clean, well circulated water with some Carbon source should help.

Don't leave lights on too long and don't overfeed.

+1 it doesn't really get more complicated than that. [emoji846]

Get some shrimp amanos work great so do rcs or anything like that

A Betta would slaughter RCS in a tank like that IMHO.
And Shrimp won't take the place of good maintenance and water IMHO. Esp w BBA
RCS like most aquatic animals need a place to hide. Add some plants and some chola wood... And you may have a surprise. Oddly, Ammano with RCS seem to make the RCS more brazen and the other fish more cautious IME.

RCS like most aquatic animals need a place to hide. Add some plants and some chola wood... And you may have a surprise. Oddly, Ammano with RCS seem to make the RCS more brazen and the other fish more cautious IME.

My experience was diff. Amano bullied my RCS and hogged the food. But that was me.

I'd try Ghost Shrimp to test out the Betta. Some are calm, some are serial killers

Back
Top Bottom