Algae eater that wont harm plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey i need something that WILL NOT eat plants but will eat algae, also needs to fit in a 10 gallon tank. I don't have an algae bloom but i have noticed some little patches starting to form and my MTS are not really taking care of it. I would be ok with another type of snail even if i have to supplement food but would really prefer some type of fish.

Weekly water changes are being done ect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Otocinclus catfish. Small, likes groups, and does eat algae.

If you are having algae issues though there is always a solution.

Caleb

not really an issue just noticed a small patch beginning to forum.

Im pretty sure on of my bulbs is shot though so ill be replacing it soon.

How long are you running lights ? What kind of lights/wattage ?
Ferts ?

Limit light to 6 hours daily, get a timer.

Add more plants.

Measure fish food carefully, over feeding promotes Algae.

Do not buy Algea eaters unless you want them and plan to keep feeding them.

Otos only eat soft types of Algae. No Algae Eater eats all types AFAIK.

Control Algae thru good tank care. Get Otos if you want them and have room for at least 3-4. But they are WC and you may have to grow Algae for them at first.
They are very sensitive at first.

I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long are you running lights ? 10hrs

What kind of lights/wattage ? Not sure to be honest. Lights are being replaced within the week. Pretty sure a bulb or both are bad

Ferts ? Flourish excel if you count that

Plan on adding more plants just a matter of finding some more i really like.

Measure fish food carefully, over feeding promotes Algae. 2 times a day small amounts.

supplementing food would not be an issue. nor would 3/4.

Water changed 50% weekly don't overfeed

As i said previously im pretty sure a bad bulb is whats causing the algae. its not like its all over the place i just noticed a few patches and have always likes algae eaters. I have heard some plecos can destroy plants so was looking for something that might just eat some small patches and look nice tbh.

For a 10g otos will do the trick, but the tank needs to be established for them to survive. Some otos can be delicate at first. If you "need" a Pleco go with a bristle nose or similar. The common will get big, fast. I would would spot treat the area first before buying a fish to fix though. You can use h202 or that excel. I would also recommend a black out period while treating and bring down the photo period to 6hr as recommended. Can you post a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

tried taking a picture, you can not even see the spots at all. Pleco is not something i need. I worded my previous statement poorly. I do not want a pleco at all. I will keep the lights on for only 6hrs and begin treating it. Tanks been cycles and loaded up for about 4 months so idk if you consider that established or not. Either was im going to hold back on the oto for now.

Thanks for the suggestions

Back
Top Bottom