Algae eating organisms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rabbit snails can tend to be a bit pricey and I rarely see mine crawl on the glass
I recommend mts (malaysian trumpet snails) because they are great cleaners though they only come out at night. They are also great indicators because if they are crawling on the glass during the day that means you have some water problems. They don't lay eggs because they are live bearers. They stay pretty small too.

Rabbit snails can tend to be a bit pricey and I rarely see mine crawl on the glass
I recommend mts (malaysian trumpet snails) because they are great cleaners though they only come out at night. They are also great indicators because if they are crawling on the glass during the day that means you have some water problems. They don't lay eggs because they are live bearers. They stay pretty small too.

Those sound good. Are they hard to find?

The LFS near me sells them 10/$1. In no time you may have over 100 of them. Very prolific breeders. They will burrow into the substrate in their quest for food (which is a good thing).

Yup forgot to mention they are really, really cheap! Check CL as well.

In fact Fishninja may still have some mts available. He posted some for sale in the classifieds on this forum.

If you are seeing Algae, how long are you running lights ?

You may want to reduce lighting to 6 hours daily for now.

Best Algae control is a balanced tank.
Causes are
Too much light
Too much food
Not enough water changes
Not right Ferts for plants
Or water parameters out of balance

I rarely have algae issues in my tanks.

My Ottos are great. As long as they make it past 2 weeks they live forever :)

Back
Top Bottom