Algae..everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone,
I'm battling serious algae at the moment. I got the co2 cranked to the point the drop checker was pure yellow. Unfortunately my GLA diffuser was slightly leaking co2 so they are sending me a new one. What setting should I put my planted plus on?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think your going to need to be more specific on what kind of algae. Post some pictures if you can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Either hair or rhizoclonium, diatoms, and green dust alage. Right now I've stopes everything, lights, filter and co2. My diffuser is coming hopefully soon. I plan to run the lights at 6hours. I have no inhabitants. Even when the co2 was running like a wounded warrior 24/7, drop checker yellow, the algae didn't die off.

J have a thread called 40g apistogramma, I'll post pictures there and in here.

What's the fertilization schedule like?
What changes? How much? How often?
Are you referring to the 24/7? The planted+ part is typically dropped so as not to confuse the 24/7 with the planted+. I've been running mine in 24/7 mode. Lighting is only high for a few hours mid day. I have not adjusted the settings yet.

Fertilization schedule is the 4ml of each pps pro solution each day. I'm running the 24/7s at their normla schedule. I will program them tonight and set them for 6 hours

Just changed 65% of the water and introduced 4 Otos and 2 SAE.

I got rid of a lot of dwarf baby tears but most of the hair alage is gone:)

That is exactly what my 40 looked like when I first set it up. I did water changes every few days and siphoned out as much of that crap as I could. I also used a toothbrush to help remove it. Keep doing what you are doing. The tank needs to balance. This stuff will go away. Keep the flow, CO2 and lighting going on the system. Just reduce the intensity of the lights and how long you have them on.

I'm doing a 50% water change every week , I'm running the lights at the 9:00 to 3:00 mode. I haven't figured out the ferts and co2 is still on hold for the diffuser

Someday I want it to look like your tank ziggy lol

When you get the CO2 straightened out you are going to want to crank it up as high as the fish can tolerate. I have mine pretty high in my tank. Just do it slowly so you don't shock the fish.

More water changes and manual removal is my suggestion.

The drop checker is looking like it has a green hue, would yellow indicated deathly levels of co2?

The drop checker is looking like it has a green hue, would yellow indicated deathly levels of co2?

green/yellow would indicate a higher saturation of CO2 in the water. Watch the behavior of your fish. They will let you know quickly if you have too much CO2 in the tank. They will be gasping at the surface of the water. I keep my drop checker slightly yellow with no issues but I also have a lot of pearling from plants so there is a good mix of O2 in the water as well.

As I said, raise the CO2 slowly and make sure you are around to monitor the fish.

Will do, thanks for the input from everyone. I can't wait to see your New ADA build ziggy, I might have to change my scape when I move lol. I bought 3 nerite snails today and there is literally a 4x4 in pad of crystal clear glass. It's absolutely amazing. Diffuser is coming by Friday! Finally everything will be back to running. Do you test your iron and phosphates? With the pps pro, do you dose according to how much algae is forming?

Will do, thanks for the input from everyone. I can't wait to see your New ADA build ziggy, I might have to change my scape when I move lol. I bought 3 nerite snails today and there is literally a 4x4 in pad of crystal clear glass. It's absolutely amazing. Diffuser is coming by Friday! Finally everything will be back to running. Do you test your iron and phosphates? With the pps pro, do you dose according to how much algae is forming?

Not sure what you mean there. i dose based on calculations for my tank size/gallons. i have my dosing automated for the 40 and manual for the 54.

With PPS Pro I dose at the prescribed rate of 1 mL per 10 gallons. The only difference is that in the macro mix I tripled the amount of phosphate. It resolved a green spot algae problem I had. I don't test for iron. I occasionally test phosphate.

Back
Top Bottom