Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-28-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: gloucester mass
Posts: 145
ALGAE: excess or deficiency?

To elaborate... I have a 40g. I dose EI for a 20-40g, 2x96w dual daylights and crank the pressurised co2 to 45ppm. Green algae on glass and leaves is persistent, it returns just days after finishing a 4 day blackout. I remove it all manually prior to the blackout EXCEPT from some ornamental rock. Now if all was well and balanced in the triniity of ferts/light/co2 that green algae would be kept in check correct? If it is a deficiency, could it be one component of EI? I believe I have read a statement of Plantbrains to the effect that KN03 doesn't cause algae... could increasing the dose keep it at bay? REALLY appreciate if you could relate your experiences with EI
thx[/img][/code]
__________________

__________________
travis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
JDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 2,294
Re: ALGAE: excess or deficiency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis74
To elaborate... I have a 40g. I dose EI for a 20-40g, 2x96w dual daylights and crank the pressurised co2 to 45ppm. Green algae on glass and leaves is persistent, it returns just days after finishing a 4 day blackout. I remove it all manually prior to the blackout EXCEPT from some ornamental rock. Now if all was well and balanced in the triniity of ferts/light/co2 that green algae would be kept in check correct? If it is a deficiency, could it be one component of EI? I believe I have read a statement of Plantbrains to the effect that KN03 doesn't cause algae... could increasing the dose keep it at bay? REALLY appreciate if you could relate your experiences with EI
thx[/img][/code]
ok is it green slime algae? i.e. cynobacteria? try this like to id exact algae type http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

if it is it probably means an imbalance between NO3 and PO4 can you test for those and give up reading?

if you are like me, i am running short of NO3 as the week goes on, but have plenty of PO4

can you give a brief run down of your dosing Schedule? what you dose, how much and how often...
__________________

__________________
Just because I am working at Petco does not mean I am a sell out, they are still an evil empire, that I am trying to make better.
75 Gallon: New World Cichlids|26 Gallon Bowfront: Planted Angelfish/Swordtail Tank|20 Gallon Long: "Nano" non-reef|10 Gallon: frog and mosquito fish
JDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: gloucester mass
Posts: 145
the specific algae types are spot and blue-green. I have no test kit for P04. N03 is always in that grey area of 20ppm, and from what I've read the AP test kits aren't that accurate at that low range. The EI dosing schedule for a 20-40g is 1/4 tsp kn03, 1/16 kh2p04, 1/16 k2s04, each 3x a week (I do these on the same days) and 1/16tsp trace 3x a week (csm+b, and usually more like 1/4tsp because I just use the cap)
__________________
travis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rkilling1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NE ohio
Posts: 2,245
Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
what happened to dosing for a 40 to 60 gallon tank?

green spot algae is normally caused by a lack of PO4's, but...

lets get a complet run down.


pH
KH
GH

still running the 6700 and 10000?

plant mass?

plant types?

you are following EI to the T?
__________________
My Planted Aquariums
rkilling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
JDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis74
the specific algae types are spot and blue-green. I have no test kit for P04. N03 is always in that grey area of 20ppm, and from what I've read the AP test kits aren't that accurate at that low range. The EI dosing schedule for a 20-40g is 1/4 tsp kn03, 1/16 kh2p04, 1/16 k2s04, each 3x a week (I do these on the same days) and 1/16tsp trace 3x a week (csm+b, and usually more like 1/4tsp because I just use the cap)
blue-green and spot suggest there is soming note right with you NO3 and PO4 dosing... you realy need to pick up a phosphate test and give use a PO4 #

Quote:
lets get a complet run down.


pH
KH
GH

still running the 6700 and 10000?

plant mass?

plant types?

you are following EI to the T?
yeap answer this stuff too, if you do not have the tests for GH and KH go get them.

also to save you perhaps some trouble in the future i will ask this now...

you say your CO2 is
Quote:
crank the pressurised co2 to 45ppm
how do you test this?

i would also like to see the results of all the test on your tap water...
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PO4, PH, GH, KH

picking up these test kits are imo, very important for plant keeping
__________________
Just because I am working at Petco does not mean I am a sell out, they are still an evil empire, that I am trying to make better.
75 Gallon: New World Cichlids|26 Gallon Bowfront: Planted Angelfish/Swordtail Tank|20 Gallon Long: "Nano" non-reef|10 Gallon: frog and mosquito fish
JDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: gloucester mass
Posts: 145
The tank is heaviy planted. I am terrible with names, I'll include a pic. PH 6.2, KH 2.5,
nitrite 0, nitrate 20 ppm (but as stated, have heard low end readings are not accurate on consumer test kits) gh 5-6, all on the ap test kit. Dosing the trace is where I deviate from EI, because I use the cap, so I probably dose twice as much as I should.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg right_126.jpg (92.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg left_181.jpg (100.7 KB, 28 views)
__________________
travis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
JDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis74
The tank is heaviy planted. I am terrible with names, I'll include a pic. PH 6.2, KH 2.5,
nitrite 0, nitrate 20 ppm (but as stated, have heard low end readings are not accurate on consumer test kits) gh 5-6, all on the ap test kit. Dosing the trace is where I deviate from EI, because I use the cap, so I probably dose twice as much as I should.
hummm... to my knowledge the trace is not your problem. CSM+B right?

if your tests are right, and i assume they are, the your CO2 is 47.3 ppm, this is good...

i still think it is a NO3 vs PO4 problem,
AP sells a PO4 test, it is a sperate thing that is not part of the Master Kit, i have not seen it at chain superstores like Petco/Petsmart/Walmart, might have to look at a LFS or even order it on-line
HERE

spot-algae usually suggests you are running short on PO4 and Blue-green suggests NO3... you could also be running low on K, since low K will inhibit the uptake of NO3 and PO4 by the plants...
you said you are dosing for a 20-40 gallon tank and this is a 40 gallon... i feel safe in saying you are running out of just about everything by the end of the week. especially if you are heavily planted...

if i was you i would try to start dosing for a 50 gallon tank
i might try a weekly total of
1.75 tsp KNO3
1/8 tsp KH2PO4
3/4 tsp K2SO4

try that for a week or two and see if there is a change... I.E. is great, but IMHO it requires a little tweaking to meet the needs of each individual tank

Hope that Helps
__________________
Just because I am working at Petco does not mean I am a sell out, they are still an evil empire, that I am trying to make better.
75 Gallon: New World Cichlids|26 Gallon Bowfront: Planted Angelfish/Swordtail Tank|20 Gallon Long: "Nano" non-reef|10 Gallon: frog and mosquito fish
JDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: gloucester mass
Posts: 145
So... if I'm reading the responses correctly you are looking for DEFICIENCIES in the EI routine, yes? When I chose to dose EI for 20-40g I did so believing (incorrectly?) that excess nutrients would benefit the algae. I will switch to the next schedule up and see what happens...
__________________
travis74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
JDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis74
So... if I'm reading the responses correctly you are looking for DEFICIENCIES in the EI routine, yes? When I chose to dose EI for 20-40g I did so believing (incorrectly?) that excess nutrients would benefit the algae. I will switch to the next schedule up and see what happens...
excess could help the algae, but deficiencies will help it more, i think you will be safe bumpy your dosing to the next level, as long as you keep thinks balances roughly 10 ppm NO3 for every 1ppm PO4, i have not heard of anyone having trouble with a K excess.
i would aim for ~30ppm NO3 and ~3 ppm PO4, check this throughout the week (maybe daily for awhile) and adjust accordingly.
Weekly 50% pwc should keep excess from becoming a problem.
__________________
Just because I am working at Petco does not mean I am a sell out, they are still an evil empire, that I am trying to make better.
75 Gallon: New World Cichlids|26 Gallon Bowfront: Planted Angelfish/Swordtail Tank|20 Gallon Long: "Nano" non-reef|10 Gallon: frog and mosquito fish
JDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rich311k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 12,189
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Definitely bump up the dosing. Excess will not cause algae and is controlled by a 50% water change each week to keep your fish healthy and to reset the tank. A lack of something is what will cause you problems. Keep your CO2 levels up, provide all the nutrients available and you should grow plants and not algae.
__________________

__________________
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excess temperature of tank water 30searay Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 21 07-04-2007 02:53 PM
Excess salt newtomarine Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 05-01-2007 05:01 PM
What nutrient excess causes this gray algae? CGGorman Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 14 02-23-2006 04:53 PM
Too many vitamins causing excess nutrients? jamal-188 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 04-10-2004 12:01 AM
Excess light bad for fish? JamesMJ2 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 05-10-2003 03:01 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.