"Algae Game"... Can you name the Algae in the pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...

While taking pics last night of the tank I snapped a few of the two different types of algae I seem to have growing in my tank.

My guesses are:

algae01.jpg - Brush Algae (red algae)
algae02.jpg - Stanghorn Algae

Did I guess right? Tell me what you think they are :)

Jeff

Is that in duckweed?

My first thought was hair, in early development. I think mine started light colored.

Identify the algae. See what is required to ried it from the tank. Make adjustments to your fert dossing, CO2, or possibly your lighting to keep it at bay.

What is your current light cycle? You have 2.5-3 hours where the lights are off around the middle of the light cycle? (Alot of algaes thrive in long periods of intense light, which you have plenty of. If you turn the lights off for 3 hours in middle it helps out some)

CO2 running at acceptible levels?

Hows your dry fert regime going? Sure your not overdossing?

To keep various algaes at bay, you must first understand what makes each algae bloom and thrive. As I have said before. A planted fish aquirium is a biosphere that must be keep in balance. Everything lives in harmony :wink:

02 is staghorn, correct.

01, though, I don't think brush algae, looks more like string/hair algae to me.

Instead of UV, I'd agree with everything Mojo Troll said above. nutrient/light/CO2 balance is key.

Also, you are just over 1 month. all of my planted tanks gave me algae fits for longer than that before I got the balance correct, which got rid of my algae problems. You also may consider some Otto's or other algae eating fish/shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom