Algae growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting increasing algae growth in my planted tank and it's starting to get annoying. On my plants and most of my driftwood and rocks there is a thin layer currently of green algae covering them. Also, on the glass I have that brown algae. It's a 40 gallon with a T5 unit, dual 65 watt bulbs (6700/10000), so a total of 130w and lights are on 8 hours a day. My substrate is Eco complete, dosing excel once a day (capful), and dosing aquariumfertilizersdotcom's "Micro-Macro" mix. I have two java ferns, an amazon sword, 6 bunches of Hygrophila angustifolia, 4 anubias Nana, half the tank is micro sword and the other dwarf baby tears carpet wise. So what's my causing the algae? Thanks

Cut photoperiod down to 6 hours until you get algae under control. Up your dosage of Excel to 1ml Excel per every 5 gallons of water. What are your nitrate and phosphate readings? Also can you post a picture to identify the algae as some algae can be spot treated.

Can you get a picture of the algae? Does it look like this?:

cyano.jpg

Also, I don't know of any T5HO bulbs that are 65w. Are you sure that's what you have?

No the algae doesn't look like that ill get a pic up next week I'm currently in Florida playing college ball. And I'm not sure about the T5 it could be a retrofit cuz I don't see a brand name I got it second hand but both bulbs are those double curved bulbs and are 65w each.

And nitrate is between 10-20, don't know phosphate as I don't check it where can I get a test kit for that just my LFS? What's the significance of checking phosphate? Thanks

Knowing your nitrate and phosphate readings can help identify if you have high nutrient levels which can contribute to many types of algae issues.

Well how would you get rid of phosphate? Same as nitrate with water changes?

WC's remove phosphates as well as nitrates. Plus if your using AquariumFertilizer.com's micro/macro all in one mix it doesn't even contain phosphates which is a macro nutrient. Your phosphate level should be .5-1.5ppm in a planted tank. I run my tank at 1.5ppm phosphate.

Gotcha. So would too much or too little phosphate aid algae growth?

IMO too much can attribute to certain types of algae and too little the same. For me I tend to see abit of green spot algae if phosphates are low (.5ppm or below) and if I am getting levels much above 1.5ppm I sometimes see a touch of hair algae on what little substrate I have visable in my tank. I always feel like I walk a fine line with my level vs my lights/liquid carbon and try to keep my tank at a stable number (1-1,5ppm is my perfect level). Plus I know how long I can run my high lights so as not to cause algae issues along with using the proper amount of liquid carbon my tank needs since I don't run CO2.

Do you think I should increase my daily excel dosage then? I have relatively moderate light so is it possible the carbon is getting absorbed too quickly so as to not combat algae? My tank specs are in my first post.

I think upping your liquid carbon dosage to 1ml per 5 gallons is a good idea. It gives the plants more to work with since you have medium light which means the plants can use more nutrients/ferts in the water making them less available for the algae.

Thanks you've been more than helpful. I'm getting a couple of rams in the mail today from aquabid so I'm excited for them to be delivered. Hopefully upping the carbon will help and increase my plant growth as well. Ill post pics when I get them

Back
Top Bottom